ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Truely "Live" Taskbar Thumbnails Previews for Vista

<< < (3/4) > >>

WhiteLion:
Glad you liked it. I haven't had much success in spreading the word about Video in Picture even though it is one of my most useful and used applications on my computer. Perhaps people don't like that it's Vista only?
--- End quote ---

I think people just don't know it exist and have not had the idea yet to try to improve Vista's already nice thumbnail preview feature.  :P  :up:  ;)

With a 1 GB graphics card, you have about 4 times as much GPU memory as I do and probably a better processor on that GPU.
--- End quote ---

I already have added Video in Picture to my "must have" basic staples programs toolbox.
Alias though, it is causing bad responsiveness problems while I am playing the game. I find it to be really strange that it is causing this. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I have it showing 7 previews or none at all, the game play is still effected to the same degree. However, other apps such as OutLook, my VOIP phone and so forth seem to be unaffected.
It still has been more then super fantastic using Video in Picture for the past few days, none the less. None of the games have crashed once since I have been using it to check their current status. Now, that in itself is a miracle to me and one great tedious timesaver. Before, when one game crashed and 2-3 always did at least twice daily when I checked their status, it took me about 20-35 minutes to reset each one up. So, for now, I am only running Video in Picture when I need to check game status. Because of this, two parts of Video in Picture are quickly becoming annoying to me, since I'm restarting it alot. The first is the warning pop-up about it not being compatible with dual monitors. I already know this and I don't need to be told everytime. The second part is when I shut it down, it maximizes every window upon exiting. I counter it by hitting "show desktop" in windows quicklaunch tray and amazingly it causes all game instances to minimize without switching focus and causing crashes.
Despite the above problems, I will still full heartily continue to use Video in Picture daily and more often than not. It has already become invaluable to me and I would greatly miss not having it.

As for sliding the previews out of the way to see pop up windows beneath, you can try right-clicking on the tray icon and mess around with the "Alignment" and "Pin Previews To..." options. If you choose "Snap to Grid" in "Alignment", you will be able to drag all your previews at once by just dragging your first preview on the left.
--- End quote ---

Thank You! I did quickly managed to find the "pin to desktop" feature, on my own and I have been happy has a lark ever since :D

Oh yeah, just so that you know, you can crop your thumbnails by placing your mouse over one and holding down the Ctrl key.
--- End quote ---

Super neato feature! I love the cropping mat!  :-*

Hehe...you overlooked one major thing though, while a errrrr.....
I'll just say, while mapping a certain other feature out, lol.
I'll let you figure it out.  ;)

I also love how it auto hides all the open windows on the task bar.

I still have no suggestions for any feature to be added to it. I don't think I ever will.

I am way better off using it than when I was not.

It is an awesome program you have made and I bet MS would be very interested in it.  ;) 8) :)

There's also alt-tab which I think shows live previews of all windows at the same time.
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  :)
I would have had to keep all Windows maximized for all thumbnails to be truly live shots, even with the ALT-Tab and Flip3d feature

Hugz,

WL

VideoInPicture:
I already have added Video in Picture to my "must have" basic staples programs toolbox.
Alias though, it is causing bad responsiveness problems while I am playing the game. I find it to be really strange that it is causing this. It doesn't seem to make any difference if I have it showing 7 previews or none at all, the game play is still effected to the same degree. However, other apps such as OutLook, my VOIP phone and so forth seem to be unaffected.
It still has been more then super fantastic using Video in Picture for the past few days, none the less. None of the games have crashed once since I have been using it to check their current status. Now, that in itself is a miracle to me and one great tedious timesaver. Before, when one game crashed and 2-3 always did at least twice daily when I checked their status, it took me about 20-35 minutes to reset each one up. So, for now, I am only running Video in Picture when I need to check game status. Because of this, two parts of Video in Picture are quickly becoming annoying to me, since I'm restarting it alot. The first is the warning pop-up about it not being compatible with dual monitors. I already know this and I don't need to be told everytime. The second part is when I shut it down, it maximizes every window upon exiting. I counter it by hitting "show desktop" in windows quicklaunch tray and amazingly it causes all game instances to minimize without switching focus and causing crashes.
Despite the above problems, I will still full heartily continue to use Video in Picture daily and more often than not. It has already become invaluable to me and I would greatly miss not having it.
-WhiteLion (August 20, 2008, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what I can do about the intermittent slowdown issues at this point, it may just be related to how Video In Picture has to work to ensure that the Window stays live. Although, it could also be related to how Video In Picture hides the taskbar buttons and keeps them hidden. I'll see what I can do when I do a code clean-up after this weekend. It's about time I started working on Video In Picture again and try promoting it.

I will remove that pop-up warning about multi-monitors. For when Video In Picture exits, would it be more preferable to have the target windows of the previews be minimized instead of maximized?

VideoInPicture:
I have just quickly done up version 0.2.9 that addresses the multi-monitor pop up message and it now minimizes the Windows in the previews when the program exits. When you double-click to close just a single preview, the program will still show it as maximized because I think this is the intuitive thing.

***Edit: See post below for an updated version or go to http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com/download-vip

WhiteLion:
 :D :-* :D OMG! You are so fast!  :Thmbsup: :-*

You have not only redone it, but have it up and already to go!

As for your question about preferring to have the target windows of the previews be minimized instead of maximized when Video in Picture exits. I was going to say yes, most definitly for my situation. However, for others I am not sure but I have a hunch it would also make most of the masses happier too.

I am very happy to hear and see that your interest is now rekindled with working on the program.  :-*

I will also eagerly post info about it in other forums and share it with all I know.

Keep Rocking,

WL

VideoInPicture:
One more post tonight, I have uploaded Video In Picture 0.2.9 Final to this thread. You should use this version instead of the one I posted above because I compiled this version for the .Net Framework 2.0 instead of 3.5, which means that it will more likely run on someone's Windows computer without having to update to the latest version of .Net. I have updated my website for Video In Picture with this new release: http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com/download-vip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version