ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Truely "Live" Taskbar Thumbnails Previews for Vista

<< < (2/4) > >>

jgpaiva:
jgpaiva, what other bugs have you experienced?
-VideoInPicture (August 18, 2008, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
At the time I tested it, it had a few issues with windows live messenger, which was the program I was using it mainly for, I believe I reported it somewhere here in the forum.

WhiteLion:
Not exactly. It works with all applications, as long as they are not minimized.
--- End quote ---

I don't watch movies much on the PC. If I am remembering correctly, I think Media Player does show live previews in even minimized windows.

What I meant was that you can keep them all in windowed mode, and not minimize them, and then just see their previews in the taskbar.
--- End quote ---

Chuckling...Now, that is an idea that never even crossed my mind and should have long ago. I guess I'm just to much of a clean desktop freak to have ever thought of it. Your idea would be very doable. I could slide all the open windows to the other monitor, then shut it off and yet still see all of the live stats when needed in the thumbnail previews. Plus use Skrommel's dual monitor app it would be almost a nearly perfect solution. :D

Also, you may want to give VideoInPicture a try, it might be adequate for your situation. Unfortunately, it's still a bit buggy
--- End quote ---

Uhmmm...WoW! Video in Picture is indeed the ultimate solution for me!
It's way more awesome than what I wished for and wanted in the first place. I never hoped of actually being able to legibly read the print in any truly live thumbnail enhancement program! Muchless have the ability to resize and place them where ever I want. Then to top it all off
Video in Picture's app is very small in size, has 0% CPU usuage, only 13.6k memory usage and works on Vista 64-bit. I am literally flabbergasted!
I have had it running about 30 minutes now. When I first started it up I got 2 Retry/Ignore warnings. These type of warnings are a frequent happening on this PC anyways because I knowingly do have the CPU kept quite busy with all of the games running on it.

I was going to come in here and suggest http://videoinpicture.wikidot.com/ but I see that jgpaiva has beaten me to the punch.
--- End quote ---

What a punch it is! My socks were truly knocked off :)

I think it might work for your needs but there are some quirks about it that you need to know.
--- End quote ---

Only one "quirk" I've noticed so far, then again maybe not, I haven't learned how to fully set it up yet. Right now, I have to slide the thumbnails out of the way if a window opens up underneath them. Then again I also have 7 enlarged thumbnails up and plastered all over, lol.
I'm enjoying watching all my games at once for the very first time almost more than I enjoy playing it :p

Currently, the program will only show resized, live preview thumbnails on the primary monitor of your screen (no multi-monitor support).
--- End quote ---

I simply don't care if you ever figure out the multi-monitor support issue. I hope you do if that is what you want. I am just so thrilled with being told about and using this gem you have had made that it doesn't matter. Besides that, I would only want the thumbnails on my main monitor anyways ;) I seldomly use my other monitor unless I need to keep a very close eye on a few apps or games at once. Now, I will even use the other monitor even less because I think Video in Picture will make having to use it obsolete.

You may experience a slight slow down in your system for an unknown reason. I think having many live thumbnails in a resizable Window taxes your GPU although not your CPU.
--- End quote ---

So far, I am noticing no slow down whatsoever. I have a 1GB stock ATI GPU, so I expect none. The game itself is not a graphic intensive one either, plus I only have all the graphic features turned on in only one of the instances.

I have no constructive comments or ideas to give to you.

Video in Picture seems as polished has any app can be to me.
I can't see any area of the app which needs any improvement.
It's way more then what I ever expected to find.

Oops, there is just one little thing that does bugs me about it.

I have googled for hours in vain and I never came across it.  :-*

I greatly thank you both, jgpaiva and videoinpicture, very much for making my wish come true.

Hugz,

WL

VideoInPicture:
Oops, there is just one little thing that does bugs me about it.

I have googled for hours in vain and I never came across it.  :-*

I greatly thank you both, jgpaiva and videoinpicture, very much for making my wish come true.

Hugz,

WL

-WhiteLion (August 18, 2008, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad you liked it. I haven't had much success in spreading the word about Video in Picture even though it is one of my most useful and used applications on my computer. Perhaps people don't like that it's Vista only?

With a 1 GB graphics card, you have about 4 times as much GPU memory as I do and probably a better processor on that GPU.

As for sliding the previews out of the way to see pop up windows beneath, you can try right-clicking on the tray icon and mess around with the "Alignment" and "Pin Previews To..." options. If you choose "Snap to Grid" in "Alignment", you will be able to drag all your previews at once by just dragging your first preview on the left.

VideoInPicture:
Oh yeah, just so that you know, you can crop your thumbnails by placing your mouse over one and holding down the Ctrl key. Borders will pop up around the live thumbnail that you can use to crop it. Also, this isn't well documented but if you double click near the bottom of the live preview near the middle, it will restore the thumbnail to it's starting size and no cropping. Double clicking on the left bottom or right bottom zooms in and out.

Deozaan:
You don't have to slide any of your game windows out of the way. Just use the Windows task bar to select them and it should bring them to the front.

There's also alt-tab which I think shows live previews of all windows at the same time. Though I'm not sure about that since I haven't used Vista for over 1.5 years now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version