ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official DonationCoder.com Reviews

Best Anti-virus

<< < (4/5) > >>

Edvard:
If Mouser likes ANTIVIR then i guess we'll have to take a close look at it.-dantheman (November 07, 2005, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear a kind word from Mouser on AntiVir. I'm sold on it, personally. Updates frequently, has caught at least 5 viruses that others missed, protected me quite handily when I accidentally hit a warez site that promptly lobbed at LEAST 20+ v-bombs at me, doesn't filter my mail, but it'll sure speak up once I get around to opening THAT one. Personal Ed at home, Business Ed at work (cause I'm stuck on a NT4 workstation and AntiVir is just about the only one that works here) One weird thing, it is using (ATM) something like 15 megs or so (I've got 256 sysem megs) but I don't even notice. I've never noticed any difference in performance with it on or off. I checked. And besides, the disk scanner is named "Luke FileWalker"... How cool is that?

imtrobin:
www.bitdefender.com

Innuendo:
If you want the absolute best protection from viruses and trojans in one package there is no other choice but Kaspersky, but it is very resource-hungry.

If you want a solution lighter on resources,are willing to give up defense in the trojan area & put up with a few more false positives then NOD32 is what you want.

The new version of Symantec's corporate version of their AV (no way can you compare it to the consumer version being hawked in stores) is doing very well in tests & comparisons. It's amazing how much malware it can catch. However, some malware will knock its scanning engine out of commission & render it unable to run. That's a fatal flaw in my book. Couple that with the fact that Symantec is a very slimy company & ruins everything they touch I have vowed no Symantec software will ever reside on any of my PCs, but I mention their AV here for the people who do not dislike Symantec as much as I do.

BitDefender is not quite ready, IMHO. They were an absolutely crummy AV when first released but the latest version has really shown great strides towards becoming a great AV. Hopefully, next version will be the one that launches it to greatness.

I haven't used any freeware AV programs, but everywhere I go I only hear good things about AntiVir.

Second Shadow:
I used Kaspersky a while ago, and while it is excellent at detection and real-time protection, it is a bit too much resource hungry.
Now I use NOD32 that has even better heuristics detetion (actually, it has THE BEST heuristics detection there is), but not such a big library. However, NOD32 is much lighter and gives me all the protection I need ... and them some.

May I suggest www.av-comparatives.org

It is the best antivirus comparison site I've found

LuckMan212:
I have started a thread that may be of interest to people subscribed to this thread..... over here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2566.0

it's part of the new "What's the Best..." section.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version