ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Music files 101

<< < (4/8) > >>

cranioscopical:
I caught my self whistling something from the Mikado and
decided that I'd better turn myself in to the RIAA.
Now I have an appointment with the Lord High Executioner.    :mad:
-cranioscopical (December 04, 2008, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Talk to Plash-go. He can probably set you up for a pardon. Especially if you have a spare Letter of Patent on you. ;D

-40hz (December 05, 2008, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
I fear that my coat has no sleeves  :(

f0dder:
Curt: the music you get from TDC's yousee isn't free in any way... you already mention the DRM issue, but you should also keep in mind that you're paying for the music access through your internet subscription. It annoys me that TDC can't just offer you an internet subscription (at a decent pricetag) without all the extra fuss... but at least there's usually alternatives, like CyberCity SOLO - that's pretty good value for the money :)

Personally, I like physical CDs. They sound pretty good on my NAD amp+cdplayer, and I like having the jewelbox and artwork... I still do rip to lossless FLAC format for convenience, though, and I'm looking forward to getting an amplifier with digital SPDIF intput so the file versions of my music will sound as good as the CD versions.

dbPoweramp is a really nice and easy-to-use music ripper, and it's ripping algorithm is superior to EAC speed-wise (while still achieving perfect copies). Unfortunately, the version I purchased can't do single-file-per-album + cue-sheet ripping, which is the format I prefer... as far as I've been able to gather, the most recent version does, but I'm not shelling out for an upgrade unless I'm certain.

Hirudin:
Unfortunately, the version I purchased can't do single-file-per-album + cue-sheet ripping, which is the format I prefer... as far as I've been able to gather, the most recent version does, but I'm not shelling out for an upgrade unless I'm certain.
-f0dder (December 05, 2008, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
It does indeed have single file ripping now. IIRC the upgrade is $12, or $17 if you buy a year of Perfectmeta access. In my opinion that's a deal, a steal, the sale of the century.

Curt:
Why does Monty Python get it?

Would that the music industry take a cue from Monty Python. The Pythons decided the best way to combat piracy was to put up their own YouTube channel and provide high quality videos directly from their archives. ... -40hz (December 04, 2008, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just as an info: Always look at the bright side of life, www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DWlBiLNN1NhQ%26feature%3Dchannel&direct , lead me to Amazon.com where I could have a 6-discs set with 3 old movies (Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life) for (merely) $30

Curt: the music you get from TDC's yousee isn't free in any way... you already mention the DRM issue, but you should also keep in mind that you're paying for the music access through your internet subscription. -f0dder (December 05, 2008, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course I am paying for it, but that is really not a problem as long as I also PLAY the music, is it. Furthermore the price did not go up when they added YouSee_PLAY (on the contrary; they raised my download speed to 16 mbps). 10.000 music files I have had from their site, which actually makes it extremely CHEAP. Why even be annoyed that they are good at making money? It hardly can be a surprise since they have done so ever since the company was founded. What can (DOES) annoy me is the total lack of bit-rate quality: Even if I should happen to purchase a file, it will only be available in 320kbps MP3. That really sucks!!! Edited: Naturally the DRM protected files are even worse: 192 kbps .wma  :(

----

regarding http://www.youtube.com/user/MontyPython :

whats this? they're making it legit??
kind of takes the fun out of it, dont you think???-YouTube visitor "likegrace"
--- End quote ---

:P

Curt:
.. it was a live 'boys of summer' by the eagles -cmpm (December 04, 2008, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqsZo__rdc is in a fair quality, from:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=alex70magic&view=videos page 3, scroll down.
- a fine channel to listen to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version