ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What would your ideal Operating System be like?

<< < (2/12) > >>

Target:

* transparent
* lean and mean
* stable & secure (in that you can't hack it to do something it's not supposed to, not as in firewalling etc)
* standard interface - no eye candy
* no applications (it's an operating system, dammit!!)
* single version
* simple(?) API
An operating system should be just that - a platform on which applications can be run.

If you want a firewall, add one.  If you want a text editor, add one.  If you want a browser, add one

Do not force me to carry dozens of applications that I'll never use and which have nothing whatsoever to do with the actual operating system

zridling:
Hmmm.... seems like mouser, kartal, and Target stole my thunder.

* Every superfluous driver would be stripped, and every extraneous piece of code placed onto a spare DVD to be used only if we called for it.

* Remove all but the core command sets. All obscure executable items and 99% of such things as fonts, sounds, and stock photos should be loaded only when requested. Ask for the media or, better yet, download it from a secure/authenticated Web site at run-time, when needed. This alone would allow most operating systems to be held on a single gigabyte USB stick. No flexibility would be denied. Bloat would evaporate.

* Stability of Linux.

* Speed of Windows x64 versions.

* VMWare would be mandatory.

* Rock-solid, stupid-easy data backup.

* Choice of filesystems -- Ext3, WinFS, Reiser, or ZFS. GPL them so we no longer must appease proprietary, standards-less, incompatible applications. And make them run on all processor families (no special flavors).

* The greatest text editor ever conceived by the human mind.

Eóin:
1) no appearance customization /skinning. enforce a completely standardized user interface.  I think predictability of user interface and good guidelines for coders is important.
6) a focus on providing a clean object oriented API for programs.  The entire focus of the operating system should be in providing a clean efficient interface to coders.-mouser (August 14, 2008, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure I agree there, sure making life easier for programmers could mean more quality programs but would it really? Honestly I don't think so.

And at the end of the day I can't see users caring how difficult or not the OS is for developers.

housetier:
error free.
no surprises.

Gothi[c]:
error free.
no surprises.

--- End quote ---
One can dream :) I think this is one of the most unachievable things so far :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page