ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Favorite part of the Beijing Olympics so far?

<< < (10/11) > >>

electronixtar:
electronixtar - boycotting the Olympics is as easy as changing the tv channel!
-Darwin (August 13, 2008, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

haha very interesting...

I think faking the fireworks and not letting the little girl singer sing because she wasn't as pretty as the other at the opening ceremony were the highlights, captured the modern day Olympic spirit perfectly I thought.
-Grorgy (August 13, 2008, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO 'fake' fireworks is very understandable. No chopper could fly that fast and steady, and it's not safe to fly through fireworks exploding around your helicopter, not saying live video. The fireworks on TV is CG, but it's real in Beijing that day. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZrI8onelg . And I heard that on NBA the narrator clearly stated that the footprints are CG. Personaly I found out it was fake on that evening live broadcast, 08/08/08. Haha. I knew the little girl is lip-sync, too. It happens a lot in China.

I think it's a HUGE improvement for China government to admit something first.

In fact the whole opening ceremony is somehow too romantic/fake, like flying Li Ning lit the flame. He used wires. :-)

I feel sympathy for the little girl who did the actual singing, too. Our government officials said it's for 'national image' considerations, haha, the exact image of China is fake. Also the critisim inside China is more severe than foreigners.

kimmchii:
Why wear a swimsuit? Wouldn't the olympics be more interesting if the swimmers wore no suits?
-Josh (August 13, 2008, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
:up: :up:i like this idea.

Edvard:
I'm liking Worth1000's ideas for new Olympic games:
http://www.worth1000.com/contest.asp?contest_id=20627&display=photoshop#entries
 :D

zridling:
OMG, Edvard, that is perfect!

40hz:
Actually, the best thing about this Olympic competition has to be the camerawork. Here's an interesting article on the "Dive-Cam."

Now Diving: Sir Isaac Newton
Low-Tech Camera Uses
No-Tech Gravity to Drop
Viewers Into the Pool
By BARRY NEWMAN
August 13, 2008; Page A18

BEIJING -- High-tech televisual bells and whistles have carried couch-based Olympic watching way beyond the mere reality of being here. Thousands of cameras are catching the action in China -- every one of them high-definition. Yet for a feat of engineering magic that dazzles as it baffles, nothing beats the DiveCam.

On TV, a diver walks out onto a platform. The camera fixes on him. He waits. He leaps. And then -- somehow -- the camera stays with him as he plunges. In the instant it takes him to break the water's surface, the picture suddenly cuts to an underwater shot -- and we watch in disbelief as the dive culminates in a burst of bubbles.
--- End quote ---

Full story link:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121856740339434067.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version