ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-review: LineByter - Find and Extract Patterns (emails,etc) from Text Files

<< < (2/4) > >>

howardb:
The review seems to claim that the program can extract emails that contain one or more regex patterns. But it looks like the program just extracts single lines in a file. There used to be an old dos grep program that would extract emails within which are found certain patterns of text. This can be very useful, when working with a lot of email or message folders and a email program with a weak search function. Example: find all emails that mention the  topic, vitamens. Collect each email as a COMPLETE email, not just a line within an email. Then one could read what each email says about the topic.

Any way  to do this with lineBytes? Its very title suggests skepticism, but perhaps I ask for a task the author never had in mind. Still there are so many programs out there, email, news, treepads -- that collect text in some kind of note bundles - that this would be a generally useful function.

mouser:
linebyter definitely cannot do what you want (currently), but it might be nice if it could be expanded to do something like that at some point, maybe by looking at a larger context.  currently thought its only matching patterns one line at a time in total isolation from all other lines.

superboyac:
howardb, try this program:
Mailbag Assistant

It's another program I don't know how to really use, but it sounds like you could use it.

ptran:
I noticed the review mention v1.0.2.1 but the download link on the webpage (http://www.codebyter.com/linebyter/) mentioned 1.0.1.16. Am I misreading some information?

howardb:
howardb, try this program:
Mailbag Assistant

It's another program I don't know how to really use, but it sounds like you could use it.
-superboyac (August 16, 2008, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mailbag Assistant appears to be shareware costing about $30. There are a lot of shareware message readers still out there from the days of bulletin boards. They very considerably in quality and features. I used to use an old dos program called Readmail to read email messages. It allows you to define the hearder format of a list of messages. Buts its search facility was very limited, and it was buggy.

I may have to write one of these myself in for instance, awk, which should not be too difficult.

edit by jgpaiva: fixed quote tag

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version