ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Search and Alias history

(1/2) > >>

s.newave:
I keep thinking about this and how great it would be to have this functionality. This is probably the only feature i miss in FARR that i used extensively in other launchers. I know this has been discussed many times but I was thinking about a way to expand upon the current search history and came up with the following:

-make the history larger and persistent among restarts (perhaps create a new history.ini file with a different section for each history group)
-be able to specify different history groups in the results window of each alias similar to how the /ICON keyword works. See image below.

Search and Alias history

The nice thing about a system like this is that it would enable you to create different search histories for different aliases but also be able use a shared history for multiple aliases by using the same /HISTORY name in each alias.

-save the history string in a way that lets you know which alias launched it so that you can display the search term without the alias name and be able to search for history entries for a specific alias. Currently when you type ahistory it includes the alias name in the saved strings such as "igo donationcoder.com" where igo is the name of the alias.

-finally and most importantly, imo :D, would be to add an option in FARR's settings to "Include history entries in search results". So when using any alias that had a /HISTORY keyword you would include any relevant history results when using that alias using FARR's ranking system based on the search criteria. A nice option might be to use a standard FARR history icon which would allow users to quickly determine which are history results.

cspeirce:
As I already mentioned in some other thread I am a strong supporter of this feature (though I don't fully understand s.newaves proposal how /HISTORY-Keyword should work). The key to me seems a larger and separate history file that can optionally be included in search. That would be easy to implement, easy to turn off and very effective.

herojoker:
The history is already persistent among restarts. Just booted my machine, all entries are still there.
Some options regarding the history is available at "Search Behavior" (just in the case you didn't see it yet).

cspeirce:
I know, but the history is just used when hitting CTRL-UP. It is not included in the search. Furthermore the limit of 20 entries is userful only for the current purpose. A searchable history should be much larger.

mouser:
i am very receptive to this idea, i just have to think about it a little bit and think through your ideas more.  I'd definitely like to hear more ideas about the best way to integrate automatic searching of search-history items and the best way to present such things in the normal farr result list while user is typing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version