ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Firefox security addons?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Ehtyar:
Refcontrol is for controlling the sending of the referrer header. You'd be surprised how few sites break using this addon, and it's very simple to create exceptions for those that do break.

Ehtyar.

Paul Keith:
This isn't really as good in the hands of someone's who's willing to go through NoScript but it's still a good extension for warning you of sites when you get sloppy:

WOT

and here's a new online password manager that many don't recommend but it does come with a password generator:

LastPass

At some point though, I don't really know what better way to secure your browser than using a decent to great antivirus and anti-spyware scanner. I've since removed noscript and I've yet to find my browser ever being compromised.

f0dder:
I prefer YesScript, it's a NoScript spinoff that allows JS globally but lets you blacklist invidual sites. I use it more as a performance enhancer coz I've noticed some JavaScript-heavy sites really bog FF down.
-nosh (August 10, 2008, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
As Ethyar said, this is definitely not a security add-in, and imho it doesn't really have a place in the world... noscript gives you security, and AdBlockPlus rids you of performance-sucking ads.

IMHO blocking cookies is (mostly) paranoia when you're distrusting scripts from unknown sources, and often more trouble than it's worth.

Cavalcader:
Here're a couple more I forgot about, put out by students at Stanford University. Unfortunately, they haven't been updated for Firefox 3 yet, but for anybody on FF2 they're worth a look. Maybe if enough people are interested they'll be updated, or someone could get permission (if needed) to take over the project. (It could be too that FF3 doesn't need 'em, but from reading the concept behind 'em it sounds like they'd still be useful.)

http://www.safehistory.com/
http://www.safecache.com/

nosh:
I prefer YesScript, it's a NoScript spinoff that allows JS globally but lets you blacklist invidual sites. I use it more as a performance enhancer coz I've noticed some JavaScript-heavy sites really bog FF down.
-nosh (August 10, 2008, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
As Ethyar said, this is definitely not a security add-in, and imho it doesn't really have a place in the world... noscript gives you security, and AdBlockPlus rids you of performance-sucking ads.
-f0dder (September 03, 2008, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, it can't be considered a serious security addon and it is perhaps out of place in this thread, but it does let me single out the JS-heavy sites. Noscript would give me real security but I can't be bothered to enable JS manually every time I browse a new known safe site... unless there's a better way out that I'm not aware of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version