ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux is Not Windows

<< < (7/8) > >>

app103:
It would be even better if everyone looked at what Apple is doing with usability and design and emulated their continuous success there.
-zridling (August 13, 2008, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't exactly call what Apple is doing "successful" and I wouldn't recommend that everyone emulate them.

Why not?

Hand a blind person an iPhone and ask him to make a call and have him explain the reason* to you.

* click here if you don't have an iPhone or know any blind peopleUsability and accessibility go hand in hand. The iPhone fails in that respect, by removing buttons one can feel to identify what buttons they are touching, with a smooth touch screen that unless you have decent enough eyesight to see what you are doing, you don't know where the buttons are.

If everyone emulates Apple, then the visually impaired will never be able to use a mobile phone, ever again.

I don't call that "successful", nor do I call it progress, nor do I think it defines anywhere near the best in usability.

Additionally, I am going to give you an open invitation to come to my house and use Wordpress's admin control panel on MY computer and make a post to your blog. After you are finished swearing and ripping your hair out, you can come back here to this forum and edit your post from my computer, too.  :D

I guarantee you that editing your post here will be a much easier and more enjoyable experience than making a post to your Wordpress blog.

And do my eyes deceive me? Are you actually praising Vista's eye candy bloat? There was a time you hated bloat. Now it seems you are embracing it, wallowing in it, praising it, and thoroughly enjoying it. I don't get it. What happened? Who are you and what have you done with the real Zaine?

Darwin:
And do my eyes deceive me? Are you actually praising Vista's eye candy bloat? There was a time you hated bloat.
-app103 (August 13, 2008, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can't say my eyes see anything to suggest this in Zaine's post. I took his:

Innovation shouldn't merely be driven by maximum "cosmetic" UI consistency.-zridling (August 13, 2008, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

as a dig, basically saying that all MS has done is make an attempt to make Windows prettier and to make that "prettiness" more uniform across the OS' various features. The comment doesn't even say whether he likes the UI! Call it more of a backhanded compliment as I'd argue that what Zaine is suggesting is that MS has been resting on its laurels...

Edvard:
Ok, the war is over...everyone go home and enjoy the operating system of your choice.
--- End quote ---
Hear, hear!!

And parents, talk to your kids about Linux before somebody else does.

Darwin:
Cute comic, Edvard, thanks for the link  :Thmbsup:

40hz:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version