ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (3/15) > >>

Lashiec:
I like Windows the most, which is obvious being the OS that I use on a regular basis. I'm quite fond of XP SP3, which is what I'm running at the moment, stable as a rock, quite lean and fast enough, the apps I use make it better in my opinion, covering most of its shortcomings. I miss *somewhat* the days with Windows 98 SE, inferior OS, even more handicapped by my aging machine, but it really did a great job during all those years using it.

Vista is nice, but I'm lazy to move :P (and I need more RAM, for future proofing).

I like Linux, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for which distro I prefer (I found that it's not Knoppix, though), and OS X is cool, and its gamut of apps is really interesting (even if most of them are not freeware), but the only way I would use it (legally) is buying that dongle, and I don't need a laptop at the moment.

Deozaan:
I'm very satisfied with XP. It has it's quirks but I've either had enough time to get used to them or I've figured out how to tweak them to get rid of them. It's not perfect by any means, but I don't see myself upgrading to Vista just for the fun of it.

Darwin:
I'm into day four with a Vista Sp-1 notebook with 3GB of RAM. Haven't even turned off the eye candy yet, which is saying something for me... So far I am actually enjoying it. Sp-1 is a great improvement over the initial Vista release, and the extra gig of RAM (my last flirtation with Vista was on a machine with "only" 2GB) and the dual Core processor means that this machine is much punchier than my XP notebook.

Thus, I now have five computers - four notebooks and a desktop running: OS-X 10.2 (no longer remember the feline name), OS-X Tiger (on the desktop - iMac), Win2k Sp-4, Win XP Sp-3 and Vista Sp-1. Agree with StoicJoker about setting up a printer in Tiger. N-I-G-H-TM-A-R-E. Would like to add that for all the kudos thrown Apple's way for their solution to legacy support in OS-X, it stinks (IMNHO), though it is much better in 10.4 than it was in 10.2... Having said that, I like OS-X a lot, but have yet to have any sort of a "Eureka" moment with it wherein I become a convert.

Win XP Sp-3 is my current favourite, but then, that's what I've been using as my main OS for four years and I have tweaked into a very stable and responsive installation. I should have transitioned to Vista by the end of next week and will be in a better position to evaluate after that. For now, my WinXP machine is still my workhorse.

I have Ubuntu 7.1 (not the latest 8.x release, I know) loaded onto the Win2k machine, but haven't really played with it too much. When I have played with it, though, I've been VERY impressed with how easy it is to set up and use. Once I'm settled into my Vista machine I might dual boot it with the latest Ubuntu, as it has two and half times the harddrive capacity of anything else that I own - might as well put it to work!

Ampa:
I'm pretty happy with Win XP and can't really face the thought of having to learn something different... I must be getting old!

Ampa

Grorgy:
I'm pretty happy with Win XP and can't really face the thought of having to learn something different... I must be getting old!

Ampa
-Ampa (August 09, 2008, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too Ampa  ;D , though I will upgrade to Vista when I get a new computer, unless Vista's replacement is out and about!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version