ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (11/15) > >>

f0dder:
That leads me to RAM. Why the **** would someone pay that much for "Apple Certified RAM"?? It's insane! Like $80 for a GB! And Microsoft even went and took this point and accelerated it with Vista's ReadyBoost - so you don't even need to "upgrade" anymore if you run Vista, just pop in a flash drive - $20 for the Apple cost of $160+.-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---
I'm pretty sure you can install non-certified RAM in MAC, but you're obviously going to void your warranty if you open the box. And you can't compare ReadyBoost to adding more RAM, really. Seems to give mediocre results at < 2GB RAM, and more or less no advantage with >= 2GB. To be expected, though... RAM has several GB/s throughput, the fastest USB flashdrives are still, what, ~50MB/s or less?

You can't even change the time zone WITHOUT AN ADMINISTRATOR!!!-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---
Can you do that on Windows? Even if you can, I'm pretty sure there's system policies that can be enabled that'll disable the feature - useful for public accessible machines, people always try to tamper with those.

The freaking Apple Menu! So you have to drag the (slow, one button) mouse all the way across that amazing 21" screen (at the speed of 600DPI) to get from your Macintosh HD icon, to your Apple Menu.-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---
Can't the icon be moved? Can't you enable mouse acceleration? And can't you buy a n-button USB mouse and plug in? *rolleyes*

And the system crashes. Mac's are supposed to be this whole crash proof system - the hardware works oh-so elegantly with the hardware, and it is a seamless environment where the loly-flowers fly in the wind and peace comes to the world. Then you get this little caution alert saying "Interrupting this program may lock up the system." You can't do anything because IT IS ALREADY LOCKED UP!-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---
Pre-OSX sucked because there was no real protection in the system... but does this also happen with OSX? I've only used Macs for very short periods of time at friends places etc., and I haven't had any crash experience (but oh, pre-OSX public machines... *b00m*, those were fragile).

I'm not an Apple fan, I think their design sucks and their hardware is overpriced. I also feel that OSX is somewhat dumbed-down, and the Mac attitude of "users are idiots" displease me. On top of that things obviously work differently than on Windows, but so does Linux and basically all other OSes. All in all, OSX does seem like a half decent OS, though - and definitely more polished than your usual lunix distros.

wreckedcarzz:
@ Darwin:

I have never owned a Macintosh, my first full on experience with one was troubleshooting an old G3 (might have been a G4... whatever :P). That was ... different ...

And the Wi-Fi sucks, doesn't it ;)

I have never seen an aftermarket upgrade for any iMac, maybe an eMac, but I'm not into the whole Mac/Apple hardware thing.

@ f0dder:
You can install non Apple Certified RAM in a Mac, but the Genius Bars and AppleCare don't support it.

And you can change time zones as a non-admin, and that really got me P.O.ed on my Mac because my friend whom was sitting next to me was an hour ahead of time, and he always had to lean over to read my time (that was not syncing right anyways), so we never knew the real time.

And you can move the icon and enable mouse acceleration, but in some instances (an EXTREMELY annoying Photoshop run comes to mind) the mouse will JUST FREAKING SLOW DOWN. I had my mouse accel at maximum, and for some reason the Mac saw me moving it slow, so it made the mouse slow, but when I picked up the pace physically, the technological counterpart did not. So it DECREASED the speed automatically until I "forced" it back by shaking the mouse like crazy.

And I agree on all your last points f0dder. It is good, but I need an OS to work, and work how I work, not how it wants me to work.

@ All:

Overall, Mac (OS X) is alright. I would never own one for "serious" computing (almost everyone here should know what I'm talking about - your actual computing where you rely on everything you use to work right now, and you know exactly "in 4 keystrokes or less" :P how to fix it on Win32/*nix). I want one for programming, tinkering, and adding to the above list; for all other instances, I'll take the cash and buy myself a new Alienware laptop (and dual boot Vista Home Premium with Ubuntu Hardy) :)

EDIT: In case your scratching your head wondering how I can complain about Mac without owning one, having only listed one experience here, I used them for 5 months my first semester last year (Freshman year). The brand new, shiny 21" iMac's with 4GB RAM (that didn't help a bit, either, they still sucked performance wise - and TBH I'm not sure why...).

EDIT 2: Spelling/Grammar review

f0dder:
Hm, Alienware laptop?

If somebody gave me one, I'd try to trade it in for cash. For laptops, I want lightweight, portable and long battery time... trying to cram in RAID and high-end GPUs in laptops just doesn't make sense :)

wreckedcarzz:
Hey, I'm a gamer, what can you say? :D

f0dder:
Hey, I'm a gamer, what can you say? :D-wreckedcarzz (October 01, 2008, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Buy a desktop computer that's actually suitable for games, and a lot cheaper? Wouldn't be surprised if you can get a decently powered desktop and a school/work laptop for the price of one of those "gaming laptops"... which tend to run like 30min max on battery :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version