ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm not for censorship,but you'd figure google would have a filter.

<< < (2/4) > >>

kfitting:
And so we see why people act the way they do.... no one is responsible for anyone else.  "It's not my fault they could turn it off," has led the United States to the individual-centered state it's currently in.  You cannot legislate morality... the US is trying and failing.

Kevin

And yes I am an American, thankful to live here.  But this doesn't mean I like everything America "stands" for.

Innuendo:
kfitting,
No...you cannot, should not, try to legislate morality. Separation of church and state is a good thing.

Carol Haynes:
Separation of church and state is a good thing.
--- End quote ---

I'd say it is more than a good thing it is absolutely imperative ... we have such a mess in the UK because the chruch has a dispropotionate say on moral issues (at the last census there were less than 4% of the population 'communicant members' and yet every time there is a moral debate the church is heavily represented, and they are hugely represented in the House of Lords).

I would perhaps go even further and say that politicians should not be able to use religious belief to justify policy - that would have a huge knock on effect on both sides of the pond ...

(Sorry for the political diatribe - but this is quite an interesting thread - even if it is diverging a bit!)

kfitting:
I agree partially to seperation of church and state. However, seperation of church and state leads to legislation of morals.  How can you seperate your beliefs from policy?  For one thing, that's like asking the media not to be biased, but for another thing that's asking people to be unfeeling robots.  I dont care how much you try you cannot make an unbiased decision, just as you cannot prove anything. 

I find it interesting that people praise others who have a tremendous passion for things that dont really matter (sports, hobbies, etc.), while at the same time trying to divorce all passion from things that do matter (decision making, religion, politics, for example). 

Before I get beseiged by people: yes, obviously making political decisions purely based on passion leads to profound corruption... let's not go to EITHER extreme here.

Kevin

Carol Haynes:
I agree partially to seperation of church and state. However, seperation of church and state leads to legislation of morals.  How can you seperate your beliefs from policy?  For one thing, that's like asking the media not to be biased, but for another thing that's asking people to be unfeeling robots.  I dont care how much you try you cannot make an unbiased decision, just as you cannot prove anything. -kfitting (November 10, 2005, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course I don't want automatons ;-)

The thing I really object to is politicians wearing their religion as a badge and pushing their ideas as though they are automatically endorsed by God (Bush and Blair both spring to mind on this). 'Religious' people don't have a monopoly on morality - in fact it seems to be common experience throughout history, and especially recent history, that politics fueled by religion just leads to atrocity (from whichever side of the fence you come from).

Don't get me wrong people can believe what they like, and I will respect their right to believe them, I am just not prepared to live quietly in a society based on minority belief systems that I believe are intolerant of others' beliefs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version