ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PC Tools Free Offers. Get them now!!!

<< < (2/4) > >>

lanux128:
the true test of a 'anti-malware protection system application' is the ability to adequately differentiate between a malware and normal working programs. e.g. here is a message i got from Ashampoo AntiSpyware on a PC i was trouble-shooting.

Note: Real VNC is legitimate remote admin tool that is widely known and respected.

4wd:
PCTools Firewall Plus is free, not for a 12 month period, not even for a 1 month period.....it's just FREE.

I've been running it for quite a few months, it's up to version 4 BTW.

It's low on resources, (currently using less than 6MB on my system and 0% CPU according to TaskManager), rule creation is far easier/better than Comodo.

Yes, it fails some leaktests but I'm using it for access control not testing for leaks.

The only thing I have to say against it is that access requesters are a little slow to popup.

Dirhael:
the true test of a 'anti-malware protection system application' is the ability to adequately differentiate between a malware and normal working programs. e.g. here is a message i got from Ashampoo AntiSpyware on a PC i was trouble-shooting.
 (see attachment in previous post)Note: Real VNC is legitimate remote admin tool that is widely known and respected.
-lanux128 (August 03, 2008, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

While the message it displays is very poorly worded, if you look at the classification of the detected item you'll see that it does not detect it as spyware but rather as riskware. Most respectable AV/AS programs will let you enable/disable those categories. Attached is a screenshot from Avira AV of some of the categories that aren't malware but can get detected if you want to, and I know from having used it in the past that NOD32 have these (or similar ones) as well.

With that said, to keep on topic, I fully agree with Carol here; I wouldn't want any of these products from PC Tools on my system even for free. If you're going to test out their firewall, be sure to have a backup disk image ready just in case. Bad experiences with BSOD's and a resulting unbootable system with it in the past.

BCHOWDHURY:
You are right. I have tried various anti-virus and anti-spywares. Most light anti-virus to me at present is Kaspersky Internet Security 2009. Try it. You will see the difference. Most light anti-spyware to me is Trojan Hunter. I am using both at present and very happy.

wreckedcarzz:
I have a 5 PC license to PC Tools Internet Security for all the (working) computers in the house. If you run it on a solid system that doesn't have previous issues, it runs great. Hefty pricetag, but it works great.

(I personally don't use my copy for my PC anymore, and use Spyware Terminator in its place because I can disable it in a matter of seconds, versus 1-2 minutes + a reboot for Internet Security. Can't be rebooting right before a frag-fest :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version