ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Strategies for international travellers regarding new US Customs seizure policy

(1/14) > >>

TomColvin:
I've just read the rather disturbing post and comments at LIFEHACKER about the US Customs new authority to inspect and seize for no reason whatever any device capable for storing digital data, as well as any print material.  You can imagine the storm of commentary blazing all day long.

Anyway, this new focus fuels my recent interest in "travelling light."  I've been studying all the things that can be done via USB memory stick [or other small digital devices].  I'm also looking into switching over to Linux and the new, inexpensive ASUS mini-laptop.  But mostly I'm interested right now in the role of the internet, specifically "online desktops," online data storage, online applications and even the new Lenovo SafeBook, an inexpensive laptop with no hard disk at all.

What strategies might you use to avoid seizure/loss of data and computer?.

mouser:
It's a totally unacceptable situation..

I mean it's one thing to totally go through and copy your entire hard drive contents -- that's one whole universe of privacy invasion, but then the thought that they might actually take your computer from you for some prolonged period? Some of us live in our computers and this would just be devastating.

cmpm:
You could mail or ship your computer to your destination.
But you wouldn't have it on the trip of course.

I've heard of some people doing that with their luggage because Airlines often loose your luggage for a time.

mouser:
Clearly the only rational thing to do is go buy 5 laptops, and keep them always in sync.
Then on they day of your travel start each one on its way using a different route to your destination:

* One laptop stays on your person and may be confiscated by a border agent who doesn't like your attitude.
* One laptop gets packed into your luggage where it may be destroyed during inspection of your bags.
* One laptop gets sent via normal mail where it will likely be smashed during trasnport.
* One laptop gets sent via express mail where it will probably be misdelivered.
* One laptop stays hope where you can remotely connect into it from an internet cafe.

cmpm:
lol...
i'd use fedex or ups i think
if i was to go the shipping route

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version