ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Files created in Application Data and System32 directories

(1/3) > >>

thor222:
I've been running two programs (FARR and ProcessTamer) and I've noticed that each has created a file in the WINDOWS\System32 directory:

DonationCoder_findrunrobot_InstallInfo.dat
DonationCoder_processtamer_InstallInfo.dat

They look harmless and are duplicates of files created in the Application Data\DonationCoder\Keys directory in my Documents and Settings directory.

My question: what are these files and why are they written to the System32 directory?

Thanks,
Shawn

mouser:
it is from the donationcoder license key system. the files tell it when you installed the program so it knows when to complain and tell you to visit the site after 6 months to download a new license key.  if you delete it it will be recreated.  kind of annoying i know :(

thor222:
Ah. Thanks for the info! A little annoying, yes, but manageable. Just out of curiosity, why create them in the System32 directory and not just the Application Data folder?

mouser:
it's me being sneaky.. they are created in the app dir and system dir, if one is deleted and the other exists it will be recreated from the other location :)

thor222:
OK. Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version