ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Your most used SPECIAL programs

<< < (9/39) > >>

mini_teh:
I like <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/taskbarshuffle.htm">Taskbar Shuffle</a>.
It's great since I like to open many programs and find them too messy on my taskbar. It rearrange them simply as we like just by using drag-and-drop. A very great one.

TucknDar:
Interesting topic, but not sure I know which apps to include... maybe I didn't understand the concept :-[

A couple that maybe fits in the "useful but not used all the time"-category (based on recently launched in FARR and my faulty memory...):
Beyond Compare - "Beyond Compare 3 is the ideal tool for comparing files and folders on your Windows or Linux system."
asterwin - "This utility reveals the passwords stored behind the asterisks ('***') in standard password text-boxes"
System Explorer - "Detailed informations about Tasks, Processes, Startups, IE Addons, Uninstallers, Windows, Services, Drivers, Connections and Opened Files" Task Manager replacement

Tons more, which I'll post eventually

Edit: More:
Mp3tag - "the universal Tag Editor and more ..." Only mp3 tagging tool you'll ever need! Free, but very donationworthy!

4wd:
Hope I'm not off-topic, but I saw at the top the mention of Bulk Image Downloader. Does anyone know of a freeware version that is similar? I already use FastStone Image Viewer which does everything BUT bulk image downloading.-siouxdax (August 15, 2008, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you use FireFox you could give BatchDownload a try.

40hz:
Here's something I find myself using more and more lately.

Not too long ago I got really frustrated with the music notation software I was using and decided to look for something better. I run multiple operating systems, so an application that ran on the major three was something I really wanted if at all possible. A musical friend suggested I try something called LilyPond ( http://lilypond.org/web/index ). I'm glad I did.

LilyPond is pure music notation software. It does not arrange music, record it, or do anything else. It just produces very professional scores. But it works differently from just about anything else in that it does not have a GUI. LilyPond uses an ASCII notational scheme that you use to create a textfile with a ".ly" extension. This textfile is then processed - and a very professional musical score is generated.

The notational system is easily mastered if you know anything about music. I found once I got used to it, I sometimes quick scored a composition I was working on using this method rather than going with traditional notation. This notational scheme is great tool in itself. Perfect for those times when inspiration strikes and all you have is a pen and a regular piece of paper handy. No more quickly scrawling a 5-line staff just to get an idea or phrase down.

The website also has links to 3rd-party apps and utilities that work with LilyPond along with a list of software that can export to directly LilyPond's format.

Here's a quick example of what the text notation looks like along with the score it produces:

Unlike a lot of GNU projects, LilyPond has excellent documentation (approx 300 pages). The documentation is also downloadable in HTML or PDF format. Perfect for those of us who hate having to web out to a wiki to just read a product manual.

Additionally (and this should appeal to the programming crowd here at DC) the authors have included an essay where they explain their rationale and goals for the product. It's an interesting read if you're at all interested in program design; or in the history and aesthetics of producing musical scores.

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Curt:
Wow, 40Hz, that was really something!
Thanks for sharing!  :up:

- and where can we go to listen to some of your music?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version