ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Your most used SPECIAL programs

<< < (3/39) > >>

cmpm:
Google Photo Screensaver

http://pack.google.com/screensaver.html

Apart from all the editors and viewers, it's the most enjoyable.
Because I work with two computers and three monitors, the one will go through my pictures or feeds that I choose while working with the other computer on various stuff. And taking a break, I get 3 monitors showing my pics.

Skype. http://www.skype.com/

While forums or chat are ok, live talk is better for good communication and hanging out together from distant points on the map.
Plenty of interactive add ons. Social in nature, which is it's function I believe.

cranioscopical:
fSekrit by f0dder bolsters my increasingly dodgy memory by safely reminding me of important, private data.
Unlocker says "Let go!" when a file is locked and you know that it's safe to loosen the grip.

40hz:
Forgot to include Returnil Virtual System 2008 Personal Edition v2.0

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/rvspersonal.htm

Great for doing temporary installs of software:

a) you want to try out or test
   b) you don't completely trust yet
   c) you don't plan on keeping
   d) you're afraid might break something

I use this one almost daily. 8)

app103:
I am just going to list a few weird and/or obscure things that most people may not know about, that I use either often or constantly...

dirHTML - generates custom index.html files for directories on your hard drive.

Xerver - small, cross platform, lightweight, easy to use, Java based web server that is great for testing out PHP or Perl scripts. It can be optionally configured to only accept connections originating from localhost, so nobody outside of your machine would be able to access anything. Runs quite well on an old slow 9x machine, as long as you have it configured to run in non-gui mode.

Rutgers University Physics Lab Wave Generator - This is always running in the background generating a 25Hz tone that can't be heard through my cheap pc speakers (silent noise). I have a combo modem/soundcard that performs much better if sound is constantly playing. Without it, I would need to run Winamp with music playing all the time, otherwise my pc will lock up and I'll get disconnected from the internet, if any sound plays on my pc, such as a system sound or IM notification sound.  It also generates white noise and other sounds, which some people might find relaxing or as an aid to concentration in a noisey environment.

Run and Hide - this is used to minimize the wave generator to my tray.

"Internet Glue" - through trial & error (and partly by accident) I discovered exactly what will keep my dialup isp from disconnecting me for inactivity. It works where all other such utilities have failed. I have not quite finished it yet, so it is not currently available to the public. It needs a few options and some polishing up first. (if anyone knows of any stable safe fast loading search engines, as clean as google's, containing no flash, graphical ads (text based ads are ok), or other crap, please PM me and share the URLs so I can finish this and release it)

I'll add to this list at some point in the future, when I am on a better pc and can run more goodies.   8)

allen:
The criteria in the thread eliminate most of my software... what's left? Hmn... I love PowerGrep, E-music download manager, Amazon Unbox and have been more impressed than I expected by Adobe Air; some cool apps have been made for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version