ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Your most used SPECIAL programs

<< < (14/39) > >>

fenixproductions:
2tomos

when you say "coding", do you think a non-coder could manage without staying up all night or something?!!!  :-)-tomos
--- End quote ---

Sorry for measuring people by my own scale ;)

to clarify, I'm looking for a programme that can produce a pdf with embedded fonts (whether opentype or TrueType, document mainly type -layout important- and possibly with some illustrations) and without huge learning curve. I've heard and read about Tex, but you know the way, just reading doesnt really help sometimes ...-tomos
--- End quote ---

Maybe use DTP tool (such like Scribus) then?

Your most used SPECIAL programs

tomos:
2tomos

when you say "coding", do you think a non-coder could manage without staying up all night or something?!!!  :-)-tomos
--- End quote ---

Sorry for measuring people by my own scale ;)-fenixproductions (August 23, 2008, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
- I'm presuming that means I'd have to stay up all night ;D

to clarify, I'm looking for a programme that can produce a pdf with embedded fonts (whether opentype or TrueType, document mainly type -layout important- and possibly with some illustrations) and without huge learning curve. I've heard and read about Tex, but you know the way, just reading doesnt really help sometimes ...-tomos
--- End quote ---

Maybe use DTP tool (such like Scribus) then?
 (see attachment in previous post)
-fenixproductions (August 23, 2008, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've tried that & will try it again, had some things that bothered me that are actively being worked on but using windows I'm always a version or two behind,
but also then, what I read about TEX - it sounds like it's much better/more advanced when it came to text & creating a layout & then adding the text (if I understood correctly)
Also not wanting to take the thread off-topic :-[

40hz:
... but it's nothing like LyX if that's what your worried about. ;)
-40hz (August 22, 2008, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
that sounds negative ...

-tomos (August 23, 2008, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not actually.  :)

I was responding to f0dder asking if LilyPond  threw a huge number of files up on your hard drive. It doesn't. LyX is a huge install and does. But I am happy with the way LyX works.

LilyPond = small & neat = good.
LyX = big & sprawling = good.

Hope that clarifies. ;)

Curt:
.... Also not wanting to take the thread off-topic :-[ -tomos (August 23, 2008, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

- you are all within the frames, I would say:
the programs you are debating are SPECIAL, and you are telling how you are using them!
 8)

Armando:
2cranioscopical
Try maybe this one:
http://www.latexeditor.org/

It requires some "coding" but it was real pleasure to learn the syntax with it. I  remember how I was pissed that I found this little guy AFTER I wrote my thesis using "Win-something" shareware ;) LED is the best LaTeX editor I've ever used.
-fenixproductions (August 22, 2008, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I downloaded latexeditor after I read your post. I'm just beginning to explore it and already I'm impressed.

Excellent find. Thanks for sharing it! :Thmbsup:
-40hz (August 23, 2008, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto. An interesting program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version