ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Large Text File Viewer

<< < (5/6) > >>

Ehtyar:
Nice one, Phil :)

I know the next is pretty oooold, but I decided I might as well comment on it since I saw it now:

I'm pretty sure my current fav text editor (Notepad++) could handle a file that big, but I can't say for sure since I don't have currently have any text files that size to test it with.-40hz (July 31, 2008, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, Notepad++ (which is my favorite editor as well) performs miserably when dealing with files of relatively few megabytes in size. This is mainly because it uses the Scintilla edit control, which really wasn't designed for huge amounts of text - and working around that would be really clunky.
-f0dder (January 07, 2009, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Indeed. I will sing npp's praise 'till the cows come home...except when it comes to large file support. Definitely try something more up to the task IMO. VIM would likely be my choice if it's available.

Ehtyar.

Lashiec:
This is mainly because it uses the Scintilla edit control, which really wasn't designed for huge amounts of text - and working around that would be really clunky.
-f0dder (January 07, 2009, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

That explains a few things with Notepad2. I'm sure one of the other weak points of Scintilla is how it handles very long lines.

I was going to recommend something else, but I'm not sure if it can handle gigabyte-sized files o_O

Paul Keith:
Anybody care to share a test file for testing the capability of these apps?

Btw which are the ones who have a full screen read-only mode? (Preferably with option to hide the mouse cursor and edit line indicater)

rjbull:
PSPad's Help file says it works with files of unlimited length.

CPlusPlus:
I use V

http://www.fileviewer.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version