ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?

<< < (3/11) > >>

tinjaw:
If you simply want to see what you have on you computer, I suggest Application Inventory from FunDuc. It just finds all you exe's and grabs the relevant info about them.

TomColvin:
I've used Belarc as well as AppGet a couple months back when I was coping with an eminent hard disk crash.  They were useful, but my conclusion was rigorous updating of SoftCAT PRO is the best route, backing up the database of course to several locations.

J-Mac:
J-Mac,

You mentioned above that you have much of this information in Excel, and I know you're playing with UR, except for the scanning thing it sounds like you may have 80% of the data already cataloged in Excel, moving it into UR is pretty easy.

On the other hand, I do hear what you're saying.
-ashwken (July 30, 2008, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Ken.

Yeah, I would rather be able to scan automatically if possible since I am trying to track installations on three computers.  As for the Excel spreadsheet, that only covers my desktop computer - not the others.

As for using UR to store what I already have in Excel, that would be easy enough to put in there, but I guess my understanding of UR is lacking enough that I can't see what benefit that has.  UR has no inbuilt spreadsheet functionality, nor can it even be used to create tables other than very rudimentary ones that seem to be limited with very few attributes.  I have created a few but then discovered that I cannot do even a fraction of what I can do with tables in Word and other apps.

I guess I could just drag or import the Excel file there and then, what? View it in UR? Could I actually do anything with it in UR? Edit it?  Add programs to it?  Add in programs for the other computers?  or would I also need to complete those in Excel and pull it into UR?

UR so far appears to be just OK for storing clipped info in it - as long as it is not a web page! - and... well... I still haven't figured out what else it is good for.  I really wish the UR forum had more info about how to use the program.  Kinook's documentation sure doesn't help at all.

It is hard to believe that none of the ambitious developers out there have tackled this kind of application yet.  It must be a lot harder than I initially thought.

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac:
I've used SoftCAT for years, not only to track what I have installed, but also programs that I simply find of interest [tho not installed].  A few months ago, I upgraded to SoftCAT PRO, which I REALLY LIKE!  I routinely snip online reviews and past them into the Notes Tab, and grab screenshots whenever possible for the Screenshot Tab.

Having all of this information immediately at hand is, to me, invaluable.
-TomColvin (July 30, 2008, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey Tom,

When you mentioned SoftCAT PRO, do you mean SoftCAT Plus?  I can't find a PRO version anywhere.

Thanks!

Jim

ashwken:
Yeah, I would rather be able to scan automatically if possible since I am trying to track installations on three computers.  As for the Excel spreadsheet, that only covers my desktop computer - not the others.

As for using UR to store what I already have in Excel, that would be easy enough to put in there, but I guess my understanding of UR is lacking enough that I can't see what benefit that has.  UR has no inbuilt spreadsheet functionality, nor can it even be used to create tables other than very rudimentary ones that seem to be limited with very few attributes.  I have created a few but then discovered that I cannot do even a fraction of what I can do with tables in Word and other apps.

I guess I could just drag or import the Excel file there and then, what? View it in UR? Could I actually do anything with it in UR? Edit it?  Add programs to it?  Add in programs for the other computers?  or would I also need to complete those in Excel and pull it into UR?
-J-Mac (July 30, 2008, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, for the number of systems you want to track scanning would be a big plus, especially if you want some real depth and detail for each system.

Regarding UR, Excel, and Tables

You wouldn't necessarily want to drop the native Excel file into UR, what I envisioned was creating UR Attributes to match the Excel column headings, export to csv from Excel then import that into UR. Your "spreadsheet-like functionality" would come from the grid display in the Child and Search Panes, granted these grid cells are not yet editable. There is a sample UR database - Software Inventory - that may give a glimpse into the possibilities.

I believe that similar functionality is available in sqlNotes.

Yes, table creation and manipulation in UR lacks a number of features, you've just about got to create and populate the table in Excel or Word before bringing it into UR (as RTF), and even then it would be more for presentation purposes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version