ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software Catalog - What Are You Using & How Do You Like It?

(1/11) > >>

J-Mac:
OK, I'm getting tired of using Excel for managing my installed software, latest versions, registration codes, license expiration dates, etc.  Maybe I'm just getting lazy   :-[  , but I would love one that scans and pulls in as much info as possible.

I was involved in the discussions last year including WhereIsIt? and SoftCat, but a lot of other members were oscillating back and forth trying to decide between these two and a few others.  The threads all seem to end the same way - no real definitive answers as to what is working well and what it not.

If anyone cares to post about their experiences regarding usage of these tools, like does it scan all possible locations, what info does it pick up from its scans, how good is the available reporting, etc., I would be forever grateful!  :)

Thanks!

Jim

TomColvin:
I've used SoftCAT for years, not only to track what I have installed, but also programs that I simply find of interest [tho not installed].  A few months ago, I upgraded to SoftCAT PRO, which I REALLY LIKE!  I routinely snip online reviews and past them into the Notes Tab, and grab screenshots whenever possible for the Screenshot Tab.

Having all of this information immediately at hand is, to me, invaluable.

CWuestefeld:
Software registration info goes into Evernote, because it's so easy to clip from whatever the source -- email, web pages, etc.

Once in a blue moon I do an inventory of what's installed using Belarc Advisor. But I don't try to keep any real, accurate listing.

J-Mac:
I've used SoftCAT for years, not only to track what I have installed, but also programs that I simply find of interest [tho not installed].  A few months ago, I upgraded to SoftCAT PRO, which I REALLY LIKE!  I routinely snip online reviews and past them into the Notes Tab, and grab screenshots whenever possible for the Screenshot Tab.

Having all of this information immediately at hand is, to me, invaluable.
-TomColvin (July 30, 2008, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Tom.  I do remember that last year when this was being discussed that I checked and found that SoftCAT only scanned the Start Menu and Program Files directories, and not any other folders, like where I might have standalone non-installed-type programs that I use.  Do you know if that is still true?  Or can it scan anywhere on your computer for program files?  (I have quite a few applications that do not install themselves in C:\Program Folders, but instead run directly from wherever you click the .exe file.)

Much appreciated!

Jim

superboyac:
Me too.
I put the registration info into whatever my current notetaking program is.  Most likely, I'll move them all into SQLNotes.  SoftCat is cool, but you can pretty much modify SQLNotes to do the same thing (minus some conveniences I suppose).

I also have used Belarc in the past to get a summary.  There was another program that I'm forgetting right now, that will scan your computer and give you a summary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version