ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can you live with *just* opera?

<< < (7/12) > >>

urlwolf:
One thing I don't understand. Opera says that web development people ignore them due to market share. This is why the suck so much in anything AJAX-y.

But then, safari (on windows, which probably gets 1/100th the attention of 1/1000 of the devs at cupertino) gets all those pages that fail with Opera right. And faster.

What am I missing?

Lashiec:
nope, hasnt worked (for me) since a version last year sometime (sorry couldnt tell you which one exactly)
-tomos (August 05, 2008, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strange, maybe something in the profile got corrupted?

Has anyone tried IE 8? Maybe we are past due for a surprise from microsoft.
-urlwolf (August 05, 2008, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

The first beta was very rough judging from the reports (oh well, you already bite the bullet), so if there's any surprise it should come with Beta 2. Don't expect anything revolutionary though, they improved the foundations of IE7 and moved to better standards-compliancy, which is the bare minimum people should expect from Microsoft these days. But they have a few ideas of their own (web slices, and a few ways to make the browser more robust against unexpected problems), which if properly implemented, could be worth a look by the competition.

What am I missing?
-urlwolf (August 05, 2008, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Safari has a market share of around 6%, and it's the most used browser in the Mac. I can't imagine the backlash against the companies refusing to support Safari, and thus the Mac. Not to mention that probably the market share of Mac in most Web 2.0 companies is significantly different from the worldwide numbers, so they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. And WebKit is currently the rendering engine of choice in high-profile projects by a good number of tech companies (Google, Nokia, Adobe, Apple...)

urlwolf:
So anyone here using safari full-time for windows?
Because last time I checked, it had less features that a barebones FF and it wasn't rock-solid stable. But maybe now it is.

I'm really looking forward something that displaces opera. FF 3 is out of question for me since it doesn't work with intellicomplete.

urlwolf:
and.., I installed safari. No support for intellicomplete.
Better than Opera: mispellings underlined.
Fonts are different, and look weird when using cleartype.
Scroll is jumpy instead of smooth.
Not very good catching (hitting back takes seconds to rerender the page). Bah.
It has less options than IE, if that was at all possible.
Lacks keyboard shortcuts. Not to mention assignable.

Not a competitor. A pathetic attempt.

allen:
This seems like a good thread to vent.

Opera + gmail is pure shit. I love Opera and keep trying to use it, but every time I check my e-mail I want to scream and find myself scrambling for file -> exit.

Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that Opera and gmail play well together... what am I missing? Because for me, it hangs for everything. Changing folders is 50/50, reading a message is 50/50. Sending messages? I have about a 5% chance of actually getting it sent. Useless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version