ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

The D programming language - an interview with the author

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ehtyar:
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread - I found it in the "Best of 2008". I wouldn't have replied except I didn't check the date, and now it seems rather silly to discard my post simply due to that. I wonder, in the last six months has anyone's opinion changed?

The thing that really turned me off D was the fiasco with the "standard library", otherwise known as a mishmash of Tango and it's piddly little forerunner, Phobos. Once the two are completely integrated, I'd be interested in using D, but from where I'm sitting at the moment, there really isn't enough incentive to move from C++ which is far more widely used, supported and exemplified.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
Imho, with C++0x a-coming and TR1 already available, the incentive for D is smaller. Sure, it'd be nice to have a few of D's features like modules (rather than the C/C++ include-file/library mess), but meh - C++ is industry standard and has some pretty great compilers.

Gothi[c]:
* Gothi[c] waits for mouser's rant on C++0x in 5...4...3....

mouser:
My main ranting against C++0x can be found here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9559.msg71904#msg71904

Summary:

* It's still my primary programming language, and I still love it, but you simply cannot "fix" C++ by adding stuff, which is the ground rules that C++0x is operating under.  It's simply not feasible, and the result is ugly.
* In truth, the C++0x debacle is going to have some very useful side effects.  Their are some brilliant language designers working on C++0x issues, and churning out interesting, detailed, thoughtfull, argued positions.  I suspect that many of the ideas that come out of C++0x arguments will find their way into younger, more consistent and more elegant languages.
I actually suspect that the introduction of C++0x is going to ironically hasten the fall of C++.  The momentum to stick with a language is very strong.. But when you force people to change, you've provided them with an incentive to switch to another language rather than adopt a new version of C++.

--

I've read the D book and have decided D is not worth my switching to it from C++.  Thus, I am still waiting for a new language.

mouser:
ps i keep a little notebook of ideas for what i would consider my ultimate dream language.  if anyone here ever becomes a serious language designer with a few years to spend writing the next new language, drop me a note  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version