ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which free burning software can you recommend?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Fedorov:
To me, if it can't burn multi-session CDs/DVDs then it's not *proper* burning software. I regularly backup my photos or new versions of software onto multi-session DVDs. There is only Nero that I find does a reliable job of this.

Ashampoo Burning Studio worked okay but I went back to Nero as it just never fails me.

Amazes me in some of these "which is best " threads that people recommend ImgBurn or ConvertXtoDVD. ImgBurn is fantastic at what it does, burning image files like ISO's. ConvertXtoDVD is fantastic at converting movie files to DVD format and burning them for you.
NEITHER of them can burn a multi-session data CD/DVD.

All I'm saying here is, asking what is best all depends on what you want the burning software to do for you. Nero/Ashampoo (CDBurnerXP?) are better all-round as they can do multi-session data. ImgBurn is a bit more specific, can't do multi-session. ConvertXtoDVD is even more specific, it's for doing movies to DVD :)

Just an example of how I see these threads everytime they appear :)

lanux128:
@masu: you can get a lot of results by searching here in the forums. is there any particular features you're looking for?

4wd:
To me, if it can't burn multi-session CDs/DVDs then it's not *proper* burning software. I regularly backup my photos or new versions of software onto multi-session DVDs. There is only Nero that I find does a reliable job of this.-Fedorov (July 20, 2008, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I found that I only used multisession discs about 10 years ago - I then found out how unreliable multisession is....the hard way.

These days if I seriously wanted have the kind of chop'n'change facility that multisession gives you, I wouldn't consider using anything other than DVD-RAM discs.  They're specifically designed for this kind of use and are natively supported by XP and above, (they just appear as a removable HD to the system).

DVD-RAM has write-cycles in the vicinity of 100000 times, (compared to 1000 for CD/DVD-+RW), extremely efficient error recovery and it verifies as it writes in hardware, (although this can be bypassed to speed up writing).  Sure the discs cost a bit more but you get the benefit of increased data security.

And considering you can get drives that read/write them for AU$30 it's a no-brainer.

But I find a flashdrive so much easier  ;)

Amazes me in some of these "which is best " threads that people recommend ImgBurn or ConvertXtoDVD. ImgBurn is fantastic at what it does, burning image files like ISO's. ConvertXtoDVD is fantastic at converting movie files to DVD format and burning them for you.
NEITHER of them can burn a multi-session data CD/DVD.
--- End quote ---

It's usually because the original poster didn't give enough info on what they wanted it for.

uzell:
Dear Don't Get Burned,
Go to DeepBurner.com and download the free version of their burner program.  Do not download the portable version, it has a hangup and doesn't work right.  You can burn  multisessions, but you must click the button or it will not.  I've used it and it works great! 3 full movies and all copied perfectly.  And it tells you how much space is on the disk as well has space remaining if you want to fit other stuff onto the disk.  There's no popup advertising, no shareware time limits and it's FREE.  Trust me, you're gonna love this baby.

CleverCat:
I have bought ashampoo burning studio 8 for only 10$! so I can call it for free ;) And I am very satisfied with it.
the link is here:
http://r.ashampoo.com/r.php?id=15958&ri=y9pe
-czechboy (July 20, 2008, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I second that! Sometimes they give away an older version too!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version