ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

redmine: website tool for collaborative project todolist/wiki, bugtracking, etc

(1/6) > >>

Gothi[c]:
mouser and I have been using redmine lately for various projects, and I must say it really helps productivity.
I find this kind of the ultimate `getting-things-done` tool, even if you don't need a bugtracker for what you're doing per se. It's a bit hard to explain everything so I'll just break down the features below:

* It has advanced issue tracking (bugtracker), with customizable fields. (ie, you can add your own fields issue reporters can fill out, or customize existion options of issue categories, bug status, etc...)

* It integrates with most common source control systems like subversion, cvs, mercurial, etc...
This includes showing colored diff's if you want to compare 2 different versions of a file from an older revision for example.

* It can generate gantt charts for all tasks a project. And it will even output these in PDF or PNG format so you can print them or easily share them with people!

* It has a calendar feature, showing when issues are due and when they were filed.

* It can send out email notifications for issues you 'watch' -or- for all changes

* It can generate atom feeds for pretty much any page. So you can have an atom feed of all recent changes, all latest issues assigned to you, all latest unassigned issues, the latest svn commits,... If you can view it, you can get an atom feed from it, pretty much.

* It has advanced user and permission management. It has matrix tables of what user group is allowed to change what field in an issue, and which projects are to be private and which are to be public.

* It lets you make wiki pages for your project.

* It has a built-in editor for notes or other documentation, which you can categorize.

* It allows you to upload files for projects, which can also be categorized.

* It has version management, which lets you define (multiple) versions for a project(eg: v1.2.0). These can have a due date, and this will be shown in gantt charts and the calendar view. You can assign for which version a specific feature is due.

Related to this is the roadmap feature, which will show a progress bar for each version you defined. Based on how many open/unresolved issues you have for a specific version of a project, and how many closed tickets there are. (if you have 10 open tickets and 10 closed tickets, the progress will thus be 50%)

* It allows you to log time for specific issues, or for a project in general. And shows the total time spent on each project, or the total time spent 'this week' on your personal page (my page). This is a great feature allowing you to track how you spent your time. It can also generate detailed 'spent' time reports, which you can even filter by category etc... Great for GTD and tracking how you spend your time on things, and to see if you can improve your efficiency.

* It has built-in forum support, you can have a discussion forum for your project at the click of a button, however it's nothing like smf(what we use for donationcoder). it seems a bit limited in what it can do, but could come in handy nonetheless.

* It lets you make a 'news' page for your project, where all project members can catch up on the latest stuff they need to know. I don't use this feature a lot since it's mostly just jesse and me, and we talk about most stuff on IRC anyway, but I see how it could be handy if you have a project with more people, or even in an office environment.

* It has a link to give you the PDF version of any page you're looking at, this means, very nice reports to print of anything!

* Oh and it also allows you to mark certain projects as sub-projets of others.

I'm really a crappy writer/reviewer so please look at the screenshots of all this stuff ;) :

mouser:
yeah i have to say i'm liking redmine more than i liked mantis. thanks for discovering it gothic  :up:

Gothi[c]:
thanks for discovering it gothic

--- End quote ---
Thank urlwolf, he's the one that made me initially install it on his server :P

urlwolf:
Yes, redmine is great... And it evolves fast. It's ruby on rails, and that makes test-writing fast (RoR comes with unit testing built-in). I feel testing makes a clear differece: apps with a good test suit add features faster and are easier to maintain. I think one of the things that made bugzilla stagnate and lose the battle against the newer breed of bug trackers is just that testing is not as ingrained in the perl culture as it is in the ruby culture.

mitzevo:
there are many project management apps out there, mainly web based ones... will have to check this one out when i get the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version