ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

redmine: website tool for collaborative project todolist/wiki, bugtracking, etc

<< < (4/6) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Also, the wiki documentation is slightly out-of-date, and it isn't a 100% step-by-step newbie guide.

But with some linux experience and time for googling, it worked out without too much trouble.

--- End quote ---

I found that the easyest and most flexible way to deploy it, supporting multiple installs and/or other RoR applications, is using passenger(modrails) with Apache, especially if it has to co-exist with php webapps and lots of other stuff.

f0dder:
Also, the wiki documentation is slightly out-of-date, and it isn't a 100% step-by-step newbie guide.

But with some linux experience and time for googling, it worked out without too much trouble.

--- End quote ---

I found that the easyest and most flexible way to deploy it, supporting multiple installs and/or other RoR applications, is using passenger(modrails) with Apache, especially if it has to co-exist with php webapps and lots of other stuff.
-Gothi[c] (July 21, 2008, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Looks like something to have a look at, thanks. It wasn't too much bother getting redmine running under lighttpd, but it did feel a bit hacky (had to fix hack up one of the ruby files to get svn repo working properly), etc.

But at the "other server", which is where the stuff really needs to run, things aren't so sweet right now. I think I pretty much hate Fedora Core :)

Shades:
@f0dder:
If you get tired from it (RedMine), today I just found out today that you can request a free license for JIRA [http://www.atlassian.com] when you create/have an open source product.

I didn't take a look at the requirements and don't know of other rules and regulations but maybe it can help you out. JIRA is definitely not a pre-1.0 product by any means.  ;)

Gothi[c]:
If you get tired from it (RedMine), today I just found out today that you can request a free license for JIRA [http://www.atlassian.com] when you create/have an open source product.

--- End quote ---

Looks like you have to be a registred non-profit organization:

JIRA is free for use by official non-profit organisations and charities (proof of non-profit status is required).

--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
Old thread, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents in favor of Redmine. I discovered it about a year ago and have been trying to move more and more of my stuff to it ever since. I'm just now getting to setting it up for a lot of my personal projects, and the speed at which I can do so blows away anything else I've tried, including dedicated project management apps. One of the things that's great about it is the inclusion of many ways to interact with it and enter data, from normal "issue" tracking, to wiki, to forums. The wiki element is particularly useful when compared with e.g. a normal project management tool where there are often not good places to enter large amounts of free form project-related data. The addition of file attachments and discreet wiki-format "documents" also gives you more options for organizing info.

All in all I'm a big fan, though I haven't used it too seriously just yet (despite having discovered it a year ago and been tinkering with it since then). I'll report back again soon after I've had a bit more in-depth time with it.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version