ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Show us the View Outside Your Window

<< < (77/90) > >>

IainB:
@Arizona Hot: After a bit more study, I can see that I may have been confused by the mountain names. The peaks I named on the Eastern hills seem to be correct, but I see that "Graham" is simply that, as there is a Mt Graham (where the observatory is) in the Western hills, which i realise now is probably what you took a picture of.
The peaks in the Western hills (going North --> South) are:

* Pinal Peak
* Mt Turnbull
* Pinnacle Ridge
* Mt Graham (+Observatory)From your vantage point perched on the edge of what looks like a raised plateau, you may be able to see more peaks in both Eastern and Western views, I don't know, but your location seems to be very fortunate for its view/outlook - better probably than the airport, which looks as though it is on the same plateau some distance away.

Whereas there are quite a few pictures taken around the area that have been posted to Google Earth, most of those I have briefly looked at seem to be photos of objects and places nearby to the photographer's position or within sight - e.g., mountain trail shots with some valley in the background, or buildings, or the odd cloud/sky shot.

Your vantage point seems pretty special/unique. It may be closer to Mt Graham than it is to Graham and being raised up with a SE outlook you are able to see and capture beautiful panoramas like that great mist in the valley shot and others of the changing light on the sky and mountain ranges on all sides, that photographers in most other locations - being in the valley - simply would not have the opportunity or be able to see/capture. You probably also get to see more peaks as your horizon will be extended by virtue of being in an elevated position.
"Location, location, location" as the real estate agents say.

There is the old philosophical question, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", which experiments by raising questions regarding observation and knowledge/reality. For something to be observed, there needs to be an observer, and the observation becomes knowledge of reality. There is some knowledge that can only be gained by direct experience, bypassing the need for any belief, but which can only be documented or verbally passed on to others as a secondhand offering, which others may choose to believe or not - e.g., the conversion of Paul on the road to Damascus.

Similarly, if a beautiful transient panorama of light unfolds in nature, and no-one is around to witness it, does it actually happen?
Well it looks as though you may be in a position to be one of the few who might regularly be able to observe and record such events in your district. Sure, a photo could probably never really do justice to the direct-in-the-eyeballs experience of the thing, but, like many photographers, you may just occasionally capture something quite stunning that does it, and then it will have been all worthwhile.

You could do worse than (say) build a portfolio and flog it or donate it to your local newspaper or library, so that the local community and a wider audience can appreciate something beautiful which they had previously been unaware of in the nature of their environment. So share it more widely, maybe Flickr, or Facebook, or something.
Don't limit it to just the lucky few DCF members who might bother to peruse this discussion thread!    :Thmbsup:

I still want to go walking in those hills, and it's all your fault that I do. You and your ruddy photos.    :D

Arizona Hot:
@IainB I have tried using the GPS location function, but the camera says it is "not available". I call them the eastern mountains because that distinguishes them from the mountains in the other directions from here. I have a limited selection of potential views because I don't have a car, so I just post them here. I don't think I have enough outstanding pictures to post them in other venues. I certainly have not gotten any feedback about the pictures I have posted links to on Google Drive to know if there is enough interest in them to warrant disseminating them more widely. I said they look different because they were taken with different cameras with different capabilities(and probably because of other factors).

IainB:
Just taking each of your points:

* @AH: I have tried using the GPS location function, but the camera says it is "not available".
@$IB: I downloaded a copy of the DSC-HX20-HX20V-HX30-HX30V - Cyber-shot User Guide
If this function is definitely switched on in the camera and is working correctly, then you presumably have no decent GPS satellite signal available in that location - or so the user guide indicates (p129), where it also says that this Position Information function is only provided on the DSC-HX20V/HX30V models.

* @AH:I call them the eastern mountains because that distinguishes them from the mountains in the other directions from here.
@$IB: Yes, I appreciated that. One needs some kind of a handle on them. On Google Earth, none of those two visible ranges of hills seem to have a collective name.

* @AH: I have a limited selection of potential views because I don't have a car, so I just post them here.
@$IB: OIC. I wondered whether that might be the case. In any event, your static vantage point looks as though it may be one of the best that one could probably find in that area, for observing the changing nature of those hills. Rather than manually taking pix, you might consider automating things, with a webcam of some sort (with sufficient scope and magnification) focused on the hills all the time.

* @AH: I don't think I have enough outstanding pictures to post them in other venues. I certainly have not gotten any feedback about the pictures I have posted links to on Google Drive to know if there is enough interest in them to warrant disseminating them more widely.
@$IB: I suspect that a counter "No. of times viewed" could probably be the best guide - e.g., many people will not press a "Like" button or make a comment, or something, because of privacy concerns - it leaves some kind of tracking trail.

* @AH: I said they look different because they were taken with different cameras with different capabilities(and probably because of other factors).
@$IB: Yes, I appreciated that that was probably the case from the outset - the differences were quite noticeable.

Arizona Hot:
@AH: I don't think I have enough outstanding pictures to post them in other venues. I certainly have not gotten any feedback about the pictures I have posted links to on Google Drive to know if there is enough interest in them to warrant disseminating them more widely.
@$IB: I suspect that a counter "No. of times viewed" could probably be the best guide - e.g., many people will not press a "Like" button or make a comment, or something, because of privacy concerns - it leaves some kind of tracking trail.

-IainB (February 17, 2017, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I left out one word in the post. It should have been "any feedback here about"

Arizona Hot:
This is the cloud-shadowed mountains I posted in my picture taken 02-19-17 (Post #325).

This is the picture I took today with the new camera.

Much more shadowy. I believe they are the same mountains. The silhouette looks the same and these are the same mountains as the Layered mountains panorama. Look at the title of the enlarged picture to know in which direction they are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version