ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone Know of a Multi-Monitor Simulator for Software Testing?

<< < (4/5) > >>

mouser:
The latest VmWare Workstation and VirtualBox virtual machine applications can simulate multiple monitors -- making them once again essential tools for developers.

From VirtualBox help:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch03.html
With this setting [MonitorCount] VirtualBox can provide more than one virtual monitor to a virtual machine. If a guest operating system (such as Windows) supports multiple attached monitors, VirtualBox can pretend that multiple virtual monitors are present.[14] Up to 8 such virtual monitors are supported.
--- End quote ---

jgpaiva:
The latest VmWare Workstation and VirtualBox virtual machine applications can simulate multiple monitors -- making them once again essential tools for developers.
-mouser (September 26, 2011, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's awesome! Thanks for the heads-up!

mouser:
Skwire and i were looking at it yesterday and had trouble getting the virtualbox implementation to work -- just got black screens on the simulated extra monitors.  On VmWare workstation we were both able to get it to work.

If someone figures out how to get it to work in virtualbox, please share!

skwire:
Just to reiterate:

VirtualBox: I was not able to get VirtualBox working (host: XP/SP3/32-bit, guest: XP/SP3/32-bit).  I configured extra monitors as per the help file but only got black screens for the extra virtual monitors.  Going into the Display Properties in the guest OS did not show any sign that multiple monitors were present or detected.  Tested with between two and four monitors along with 2D and 3D options enabled and disabled.

VMWare: I was able to get this working with up to eight virtual monitors (host: XP/SP3/32-bit, guest: Win7/32-bit).  After setting it up for multiple virtual monitors, I did have to go into the Screen Resolution applet under Windows 7, add the new monitors, and then extend them as part of the desktop.  Typical stuff, really, when dealing with multiple real monitors.  It worked a treat, too.  I was even able to identify a multi-monitor related bug in one of my programs and fix it.  Very very cool.

Also, VirtualBox seems to handle each virtual monitor in its own separate window while VMWare keeps them all within one, potentially huge, window.  Anybody want screenshots of what I'm talking about?

Ath:
I just set up a VirtualBox (4.1.2 with extension pack) with Windows 7 x64 and configured 4 monitors. The Windows Update was crap, as usual on a pre-SP1 install, but I've got 4 screens that I can put stuff on.

Specialties:

* Choose ICH9 chipset where applicable
* Set video memory to 128 MB (max)
* Enabled all video hardware acceleration options available (2D Video and 3D)
* Installed the VBox Guest extensions stuff (not yet with the 3D drivers, needs safe mode apparently)
* Enabled the extra monitors, like skwire did
Maybe I'll try to break it by setting up the DisplayLink drivers for the MIMO touch-screen 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version