ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Circle Dock

Windows 7's Taskbar....Err.....Circle Dock for the DC Programming Contest

<< < (3/28) > >>

Dormouse:
I have reports from some users that the program crashes when they try to add a icon/link to the dock and no useful error message pops up. -VideoInPicture (July 12, 2008, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, I've got this.
Also seems to have disabled ObjectDock (but not RocketDock) and my taskbar (True Launch Bar) is not accessible when Circle Dock is active.

Later Observations
Well, behaviour a bit inconsistent. Have been able to add icons/links - sometimes it crashes CircleDock, sometimes it doesn't. ObjectDock returned when I restarted it and seemed to function fine then (I have noticed previously that ObjectDock seems to crash/disappear more often than RocketDock), but usually won't open when CircleDock is active. TLB never opens when Circle Dock is active.

Memory usage seems high though, and rotating the circle/spiral seems to make a huge hit on the CPU.

Still seems very nice though. Especially for a 0.9.

VideoInPicture:
I have reports from some users that the program crashes when they try to add a icon/link to the dock and no useful error message pops up. -VideoInPicture (July 12, 2008, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, I've got this.
Also seems to have disabled ObjectDock (but not RocketDock) and my taskbar (True Launch Bar) is not accessible when Circle Dock is active.

Later Observations
Well, behaviour a bit inconsistent. Have been able to add icons/links - sometimes it crashes CircleDock, sometimes it doesn't. ObjectDock returned when I restarted it and seemed to function fine then (I have noticed previously that ObjectDock seems to crash/disappear more often than RocketDock), but usually won't open when CircleDock is active. TLB never opens when Circle Dock is active.

Memory usage seems high though, and rotating the circle/spiral seems to make a huge hit on the CPU.

Still seems very nice though. Especially for a 0.9.
-Dormouse (July 12, 2008, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I'm going on a hunch here but I think I may know what is causing instability for some people. I think it may be the version of the .Net Framework you have on your Windows computer. I have the latest version of .Net, which is 3.5. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/net/DownloadCurrent.aspx and install the latest version of .Net and try running Circle Dock again. Tell me if it helps. Some people say the program works fine while others seem to be having a lot of trouble.

As for Circle Dock disabling other programs, I have no idea how it is even doing that because it doesn't interact with other programs or lock down system resources other that what's inside its own folder. On my computer (Vista 32 bit premium, .Net 3.5) I can have Object Dock, Rocket Dock, and Circle Dock all running together at the same time without problems.

On my computer, Circle Dock uses about 20-30 megs of memory running, depending on the number of icons. I think this is acceptable for now but I think there is room for improvement. The architecture of the program isn't really optimized for performance right now. It is basically redrawing an image the size of your screen everytime it needs to refresh because that is the simplest way to do it. Circle Dock 0.9 is basically a proof of concept since it is the first release. There is a lot of room for improvement, but it will take me time to plan it out and carry it through effectively.

Dormouse:
I have .Net 3.5; XP Pro, fully patched.

I'm not that surprised that there appear to be interactions as all these progs potentially call the same processes at the same time. I have Object Dock, Rocket Dock, True Launch Bar, RecentX and Vista Start Menu all installed. Object Dock disappears the most often, but occasionally all the others do too. Just restarted the machine, so will see how it goes now. Will also see if I can start acquiring error messages.

Have started Circle Dock again. Rocket Dock continued to work. TLB & Object Dock did not. However, when I clicked somewhere on screen, they both started working again even though Circle Dock was visible. Problem with Circle Dock sometimes crashing when adding icons remains.

Very much appreciate it is at proof of concept stage
ATM, on the Process Explorer lists,
Object Dock takes 120820k Virtual Size & 10676k Virtual Set
Rocket Dock 77796 & 17436
RecentX 114696 & 30936
Vista Start Menu 123116 & 31668
All fairly typical values; Rocket Dock has rather more icons than Object Dock & is what I use most often.
Circle Dock has 161476 & 40040. I agree that looks OK for its state of development when compared to the others.

wreckedcarzz:
OMG, this is exactly what I wanted the Vista "start" button to look like! You click the button and it expands into this circular menu of options! Except, this is better because it is a constant dock! Absolutely amazing!!! :-*

mouser:
First of all, it works flawlessly here, and it's very cool and extremely impressive.

You've produced now two programs that are technically excellent, and as has been pointed out it's not just the programs themselves but the accompanying websites, demos, documentation, etc. that are all really top notch and professional.  And they are open source as well. Wow!

Eric I hope you won't take this the wrong way -- but I really cannot wait until you decide to sink your teeth into a project that has a little more practical use and is little less of a proof-of-concept thing.  I think you are going to knock the socks off everyone when you do.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version