ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Reliable web page capture...

<< < (5/16) > >>

cmpm:
No, I haven't tried it yet.
It was in my bookmarks.
And I was just browsing through them and saw it.
It does look interesting.
But it's late here and i work early.
Why am i still up?

Must of bookmarked for some reason?
Can't remember though..lol.

J-Mac:
Oh, OK.  It's just that johnk went through so much in testing the others to determine just what they can and cannot do.  I thought that you wre trying to show others that work without the drawbacks that he mentioned.  But it looks like you're just throwing names out of any app that mentions web page capture in its feature set.

I don't think I would consider it in the same class as the ones mentioned in the original post.

Thanks!

Jim

cmpm:
i think it's worth checking out

and john is not the only one interested in these programs
his specific needs may not be in this program
others might be interested in it

johnk:
http://www.alcenia.com/webswoon/index.php?page=what
open source
-cmpm (July 15, 2008, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

cmpm -- Webswoon (and most of the other programs you have mentioned) are really completely different animals. They simply capture an image (picture) of the page. That obviously has some uses, but the programs I looked at in the first post have a different purpose. They actually capture all the page content from the web server (or local cache) and "re-build" the page locally. This has many advantages as I have mentioned before -- editing, printing, indexing, live (clickable) links, etc.

Cuffy:
How about mirroring the entire site and then picking out the page/pages you want?

"HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility.

It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.

WinHTTrack is the Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP release of HTTrack, and WebHTTrack the Linux/Unix/BSD release. See the download page. "

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version