ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gizmo's Tech Support Alert Newsletter Merges with Windows Secrets

<< < (10/13) > >>

J-Mac:
Well that's the first newsletter out and indeed now we're paying to hear about free software. What do people think?
-justice (July 25, 2008, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it says here in Brian Livingston's column in the latest WS newsletter:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Jim

40hz:
Well that's the first newsletter out and indeed now we're paying to hear about free software. What do people think?
-justice (July 25, 2008, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm on the fence.

It would have been nice to see this 'first' version leap into the ring as a hero rather than shambling in half asleep.

I tried to be devastated on behalf of the group but managed only to feel slightly disturbed.

-cranioscopical (July 25, 2008, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Umm yeah...

Well, it was nowhere near as bad as I feared, nor anywhere near as good as I hoped.

I guess I've been a fan long enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. At least for a while longer. It usually takes a few months for "new hires" to settle in. I figure by mid-Fall we'll all have a better idea of how it's going to play out.

I'll probably risk ponying up $10 (his old subscription rate) to find out. I drop about a buck a day for a newspaper that doesn't do much for me (other than get my blood pressure up) so what the hey?

cthorpe:
Good Lord.  I've been a paid subscriber to WS for well over a year, and I don't see what everyone is complaining about.  Sure it has some fluff, but it also has useful info.  Hell, Langa's and Gizmo's newsletters had their share of fluff as well (even the paid content was occasionally trivial).  I find WS is a wonderful resource on MS patch Tuesday info.  I never install patches until the WS newsletter arrives on Thursday with info about incompatibilities, broken patches, and other important warning and information.  I also found Brian's coverage of the whole WGA fiasco to be well written and well researched.  He also provided alternatives to using Windows Update that were 100% legal and eliminated fears of dishonest folks mucking around in patches and infecting them.  On top of all of that, the newsletter is priced however you want.  Also, you need to keep in mind that Langa and Gizmo made the decision to join WS.  They knew what they were doing.  Nobody tricked them into signing on with WS.  So for those of you who blame WS for not getting all you Langa goodness and who fear that WS will kill Gizmo, remember to hold those writers accountable as well.  Finally, to everyone who is upset about this merger but who never spent the money on a paid subscription to Langa or Gizmo, remember that both of them listed finances among the reasons that they joined up with WS.  Perhaps if a few more people put their money where their mouth is and bought a subscription, finances wouldn't have entered into the equation.

Just my two cents...

C

cranioscopical:
I don't see what everyone is complaining about
-cthorpe (July 25, 2008, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking for myself, I just like to be Grumpy.  I'm fed up with being Sneezy and intend to continue being Dopey... no big challenge for me.

As you see, Carl, there's a faction here with the belief that things have deteriorated WS-wise and the hope that the trend won't continue. I think we share a kind of hopeful scepticism.  I bet most of us have paid up, too.

J-Mac:
Did anyone look at the attachment in my last post, above?  It is a couple of paragraphs clipped directly from the most recent issue of WS and states that ALL of Gizmo's "premium" content - stuff that was formerly only available to premium (read: paying) subscribers to Support Alert - will always be available free in Windows Secrets.

Man, I thought I could out-whine everyone, but some are putting me to shame here!   ;D ;D

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version