ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TrueCrypt 6.0 released

(1/7) > >>

40hz:
TrueCrypt 6.0 Released July 4, 2008

One of the best security applications just got better. And it's still free!

Notable changes include support for multicore processors, full system drive encryption and the ability to run a hidden operating system. The mind boggles...

From the website:
We are pleased to announce that TrueCrypt 6.0 has been released.

This version introduces parallelized encryption and decryption on multi-core processors (or multi-processor systems). Increase in encryption/decryption speed is directly proportional to the number of cores and/or processors. For example, on a quad-core processor, encryption and decryption is four times faster than on a single-core processor with equivalent specifications [view benchmark results].

This version also introduces the ability to create and run an encrypted hidden operating system whose existence is impossible to prove (provided that certain guidelines are followed), the ability to encrypt an entire system drive even if it contains extended partitions, a new volume format that increases reliability, performance and expandability, and more.
For more information, please see: http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=version-history
--- End quote ---

mouser:
This version also introduces the ability to create and run an encrypted hidden operating system whose existence is impossible to prove (provided that certain guidelines are followed)
--- End quote ---

hahahha love it!  :-*

f0dder:
Full system drive encryption was introduced with 5.x, but parallelized en/decryption sounds very nice. I haven't had problems saturating my disk bandwidth in previous versions, but I guess it could come in handy when copying from one encrypted disk to another; one core on my Q6600@3GHz can do around 106MB/s, and moving between two disks that can handle 60MB/s sustained transfer would require 120MB/s of en/decryption bandwidth :)

Thanks for the heads-up, 40hz, I guess it's also time for me to add truecrypt.org to website watcher.

justice:
so hackers that have access to your pc can create and run an encrypted hidden operating system whose existence is impossible to prove (provided that certain guidelines are followed). Yay nice. The nuclear bomb of security software. So secure you can't get your system back.

f0dder:
justice: you'd notice it yourself because your partitions would obviously be resized :) - obviously the reason for something like this is those insane border patrol laptop searches. Now you can boot a clean XP install and let the customs people rummage through the drive, and keep all your NDA'ed work documents and client records safe in the hidden OS, without being retained for not giving up your decryption keys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version