ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does it make sense to disable the windows swap file?

<< < (8/11) > >>

f0dder:
i would have left it turned off but i had a bluescreen and then when the machine came back on skype had forgotten all the settings - so, maybe skype is crap and likes the pagefile. just making wild assumtions.
-nudone (July 08, 2008, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm, sounds weird - can't see how the two things should be related. The only thing a pagefile can help you with during a BSOD is getting a minidump, which you can use for diagnostics... does skype store config in the registry or ini/xml/whatever?

Deozaan:
So I disabled my Pagefile a few days ago when I found this thread, but when I bring up the Task Manager and look at the Performance tab, it shows that my pagefile is at about 50% used (999MB).

Is this because I haven't manually deleted Pagefile.sys?

f0dder:
So I disabled my Pagefile a few days ago when I found this thread, but when I bring up the Task Manager and look at the Performance tab, it shows that my pagefile is at about 50% used (999MB).

Is this because I haven't manually deleted Pagefile.sys?
-Deozaan (July 08, 2008, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, it's because task manager uses imprecise wording :)

It should be named "Commit charge" (or just "Commit" as Process Explorer calls it short). The WP entry is also a bit imprecise since it assumes there will always be pagefiles, but hey ;)

kimmchii:
The problem with pagefile on windows is that it tends to page out stuff even when it doesn't need to. -f0dder (July 06, 2008, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

exactly, thats why i run without a pagefile for more than 2 years already.

lanux128:
i just noticed that prolonged usage with Microsoft Office throws up an "low memory error" but Windows doesn't actually crashes. maybe it has something with 'undo' buffer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version