ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does it make sense to disable the windows swap file?

<< < (2/11) > >>

tomos:
You shouldn't have no swap file at all - and you should have a small swap file on the windows drive (64Mb minimum). Without a 64Mb swap file on the OS partition you won't be able to use any debugging messages from Windows when there is a problem. In order to trace system faults Windows needs to produce a 'mini-dump' and can't do that without at least a 64Mb Pagefile.sys on C: (or whichever drive windows is installed to).
-Carol Haynes (July 06, 2008, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

is that courtesy of that DrWatson thingy?
It would (usually) seize up my computer if a programme crashed - microsoft told me to disable it (their solution to the problem - others were obviously having the same problem cause there was a page dedicated to the problem)

EDIT/ dug up the ms link - error report for the Drwtsn32.exe debugger

f0dder:
tomos: the application minidumps (ie., a standard program that crashes and fires up DrWatson) don't require pagefile - only the BSOD-produced dumps.

tomos:
tomos: the application minidumps (ie., a standard program that crashes and fires up DrWatson) don't require pagefile - only the BSOD-produced dumps.
-f0dder (July 06, 2008, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

gotcha :)

nudone:
perhaps it's just the combination of hardware i have and the software i use but i DO think there is a performance difference with a disabled swap file.

with swap file disabled: no difference within a single program (but i'm wondering if illustrator may even swap between open files quicker too), but when i have several open at once and i'm swapping between them i'm sure they are more responsive to update on screen - even ones that i've closed a few minutes ago.

i might do some comparisons as i might be lying to myself.

typical apps open: several adobe apps, browsers, outlook.

hardware: raptors in raid 0, 4 gig ram (okay so 1 gig of that is taken by xp).

Carol Haynes:
Adobe apps use their own page file system anyway - which is why you can edit huge files (bigger than memory). I suppose if you are working on small files and don't have huge numbers of 'history' entries it may all stay in memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version