ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where's my TCP/IP?

<< < (3/3)

Lashiec:
Well, the issue is sorta fixed, I'll explain myself :D

So, I did what Carol suggested, rebooted, and when I came back in, Windows tried to install the drivers. I could not stop it, but the OS threw an error box telling me they could not be installed. Fine, I disabled the ports again, Windows threw another error, it needed a reboot to disable the Ethernet ports. Rebooted, and the same situation repeated. Then I opted for reinstalling the drivers directly from the CD, with the result of the error I mentioned above, Windows could not find a certain file. OK, I said to myself, I shall delete it altogether. Uninstalled the nForce package, rebooted, and... a black screen.

Windows loaded, but nothing appeared in the screen, I could see and hear the drives loading the system, but nothing was shown. It was very weird, because I saw all the booting process with my eyes. OK, let's try with safe mode. It reached the logon screen, and when I grabbed the mouse, shivers went down my spine. The cursor didn't move. I tried with the keyboard. Nothing. I checked the batteries, and they were charged.

So I grabbed the nearest Linux Live CD, copied all data to the secondary drive, and formatted. Everything is fine now, no "scheduled" hiccups, and the TCP/IP protocol is where it should be. What's more, everything seems to run smoother now, I don't know if it's because of SP3 (which I didn't install before), the lack of all the cruft of more than 150 individual updates, or that something was really broken, either by my hand, software misbehavior or malware action.

I think it's difficult the TCP/IP absence was caused by malware, because I did not saw anything with the analysis tools, and all scanners did not detect a single thing as well (apart from tracking cookies). Maybe I caught something new, and borked everything, which could be the case, as the other day I found myself without administrator rights (solved by a reboot).

Funny enough, in other of the forums I hang around, people were complaining about this same problem, in this caused by the action of Microsoft updates, which was not my case (as I did apply that particular update after everything went berserk). Most probably something was wrong with the LSP, as lanux suggest, so I'll bookmark the thread for future reference. Thanks guys :)

EDIT: Rephrasing, typos, etc.

Carol Haynes:
Bummer ... but I suppose at least you have a system that is working and running smoothly. Have you managed to retain all your useful data?

Uninstalling a netwiork device really shouldn't have that effect - something seriously screwy was going on. If it wasn't malware I wonder if you had a corrupted registry. If you remember a while back I had a problem with my system constantly rebooting - swapping motherboards, memory and CPU failed to fix the problem - I reinstalled and all was OK again I can only conclude there was a registry or driver corruption. Sounds like you got hammered by the same thing.

I sometimes wonder if this sort of thing happens when a drive block goes bad in a critical area of the disc. Windows is really crap at reporting that sort of thing (I have never understood why MS can't put a disc error message up when a disc block becomes dodgy - and sometimes not even CHKDSK picks up the problems.

Anyway you have had a bad experience but hopefully you can relax again now!

Lashiec:
Bummer ... but I suppose at least you have a system that is working and running smoothly. Have you managed to retain all your useful data?
-Carol Haynes (July 10, 2008, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, I copied all the important data, so everything it's there, and an extra 99% of files I don't need, since I did not even bother to make selective copies.

Uninstalling a netwiork device really shouldn't have that effect - something seriously screwy was going on. If it wasn't malware I wonder if you had a corrupted registry. If you remember a while back I had a problem with my system constantly rebooting - swapping motherboards, memory and CPU failed to fix the problem - I reinstalled and all was OK again I can only conclude there was a registry or driver corruption. Sounds like you got hammered by the same thing.

--- End quote ---

Mmmm, that could be a cause yeah, it would explain many of the problems. In theory, the registry was all right, or at least things like PageDefrag compacted it without problems, but in my infinite wisdom I once used jv16 PowerTools to do that job, and God knows despite using the Windows APIs, Macecraft Software is able to screw things up, and without giving a proper explanation or fix.

Anyway you have had a bad experience but hopefully you can relax again now!

--- End quote ---

I hope I can do that after I finish installing and setting up things, time consuming, but you get this fuzzy feeling of a fresh system :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version