ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

A plugin based information bar in Windows

<< < (11/16) > >>

fenixproductions:
I am waiting for:
- ability to change bar's background colour,
- buttons alignment or static / dynamic spacing,
- simple plugin with source code or some kind of API.

Is it possible / available now?

jake78:
@mouser:
The default settings in the plugin are 'none' for all options.
I know that some timezones have the weekday baked in to the default value. I can look in to this and see if I can get a fix working.

@fenixproductions:
- I have been thinking of letting users change background. It is on my todo list.
- I was considering custom alignment when building the plugins, but I thought it might be too many settings for the casual user. I might setup an advanced mode of some sort. I'll add it to my list as well. (keep in mind that alignment is limited to what the normal .NET toolstrip can do, which is left or right aligned.) Re-ordering of the plugins is possible in the plugin manager.
- Source code for the plugins will come once all changes to the plugin structure are done.

fenixproductions:
2jake78
@fenixproductions:
- I was considering custom alignment when building the plugins, but I thought it might be too many settings for the casual user. I might setup an advanced mode of some sort. I'll add it to my list as well. (keep in mind that alignment is limited to what the normal .NET toolstrip can do, which is left or right aligned.) Re-ordering of the plugins is possible in the plugin manager.
-jake78 (October 29, 2008, 03:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

What about skipping toolstrip control for panel instead? Did you consider such possibility?

With panel and good written API it could be even more flexible. Like in some of the messy examples I sent you: developers could code their own controls and your bar would manage them (without toolstrip magic). It would be easier to put there almost everything (starting with some resource monitoring graphs, through pop-up menu buttons, ending with music players, simple DX games or Flash animations embedded inside WebBrowser ;)). Only available RAM could stop imagination.

Bah! There are so many CodeProject tutorials and examples that even I could move my 4 letters and write few plugins...

jake78:
To be honest, when I first conceived the idea... it wasn't meant to be as big as it has become. And to rewrite it at this point would take a lot of time. I have considered moving over to WPF for the next big version, I have done some tests and it looks promising except the windows API for setting the bar as reserved space doesn't quite work yet. But with WPF, you can basically do whatever you want in the given space.

But I will definitely consider changing it to a panel or something similar.

fenixproductions:
2jake78
Thank you for your answer. I hope coding it will be as much enjoyable for you as waiting for final for me :).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version