ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Evernote Icon - what the heck is it? Anyone actually like version 3 ?

<< < (8/9) > >>

J-Mac:
I also have OneNote 2007 installed... but don't use it... ever! Should take a look. Also to note, UltraRecall will be 62% off (applies to both editions) at BitsduJour on Wednesday, 28 January. Will look at that as well.

Given that I have three "seats" for OneNote, I should really be looking there first, though...
-Darwin (January 27, 2009, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not the same kind of animal at all, Sir Darwin. Different feature sets - really different! Give Ultra Recall a try to see what I mean. OneNote 2007 is a collection of notes. Ultra Recall Pro is a pretty powerful database application.

Jim

Paul Keith:
I just really like the version 2.2 client and particularly the indexing of handwritten notes.
-Carol Haynes (January 27, 2009, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Carol. I have no tablet pc so I didn't know EN 2's indexing was better. I was under the impression the third one was better because if I remember correctly, they even demo'ed how it could search for texts in embedded images.

Have to both agree and disagree with J-Mac. I think Ultra Recall is powerful but it's also almost so different from EverNote, I'm not sure if it can be considered underpowered (because it's still just a notetaker with a hierarchy) or overpowered in the sense that it's a notetaker with a bloated filtering feature.

I don't mean to come off as negative towards UltraRecall and I do understand that it's one of the top notetakers around. I just think that in relation to Evernote who's more of a "single phrase search" notes kind of tool, it's debateable whether UltraRecall is overpowered than OneNote in the sense that at their core, OneNote really isn't far behind as far as searching for notes. Of course database-wise, UltraRecall is superior to both but database-wise even EverNote 2 wasn't really aimed at that market.

Personally as far as pay-ware, even though I've only tried the demos, I think ndxcards and azz cardfile are much closer to EverNote's structure although if you start going that route, Tomboy Notes starts becoming a decent alternative to those and it just moves downward until the only thing missing with the other applications are templates and clippers but then it can be argued that EN 3.0 is as good enough a general clipper and if you want a much more feature-wise clipper, you always have the Scrapbook Firefox extension and Surfulator so you're back to EN 2 again.

J-Mac:
Paul,

The way you are using the terms "underpowered" and "overpowered" has lost me. I never called UR underpowered, and I certainly wouldn’t in comparing it to Evernote. Ultra Recall is not a "notetaker", BTW; far from it.

Darwin mentioned that he was thinking of foregoing the Bits discount on Ultra Recall Pro because he has OneNote. I was telling him that they are very different and that OneNote cannot replace the finctionality of Ultra Recall. For that matter, neither can Evernote.

IMO, both Evernote and OneNote ARE notetakers and web clippers for smaller notes, which is very different from Ultra Recall Pro.

I still don’t know what point you are trying to make.

Jim

Paul Keith:
Oh, I was using underpowered and overpowered in relation to Evernote since this is an EN thread so I interpreted him saying he is pursuing UltraRecall and OneNote as a replacement for EverNote.

In this sense, you could consider UltraRecall as underpowered as a notetaker because as you have pointed out, it's not a notetaker in the sense of EverNote yet Recall is still a notetaker in the sense that you put stuff on it that you took. (and you grab stuff out of it to find the stuff you put into it)

J-Mac:
Oh, I was using underpowered and overpowered in relation to Evernote since this is an EN thread so I interpreted him saying he is pursuing UltraRecall and OneNote as a replacement for EverNote.

In this sense, you could consider UltraRecall as underpowered as a notetaker because as you have pointed out, it's not a notetaker in the sense of EverNote yet Recall is still a notetaker in the sense that you put stuff on it that you took. (and you grab stuff out of it to find the stuff you put into it)

-Paul Keith (January 27, 2009, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, but using that broad sense you could call Excel and Access "notetakers" also!  ;D

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version