ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Ultimate Music File Organizer

<< < (3/3)

Target:
the weak point of automating the process is where you have compilation or best of albums.  The tracks on these albums are likely to be mistagged because they appear on one or several other albums....

while certainly not automated, another tool you might be interested in (I find it indispensable) is Free DB Easy Navigator (F.E.N) - get it here http://www.klaimsoft.com/salvoravida/

this tool works with a local copy of FreeDB (something of a sore point - FreeDB changed hands in the last 12 months or so and the new owners don't appear to be maintaining it...grrrr).   

I use it in preference to an online search because it gives me a choice, ie for a given album there can be tens of entries, and the variations are quite amazing.  Using FEN I can search through all the entries, and in the absence of a definitive result (and i average the results on the basis that the majority must be closest to the mark) I can use it to make a more educated search elsewhere...

regardless, keep us posted on what you 'find'...

urlwolf:
I have tried tagscanner and wasn't happy with it.
Both MusicIP and winamp offer some sort of tag finding by hashing the songs.
Both work so-so.

I think right now it's not really possible to set loose a machine and expect a perfectly tagged collection. Some (a lot of) human intervention is needed.

Having said that, try iTSfv – iTunes Store file validator. It gets some of the existing tags and matchers that with apple's own store. These guys have an interest in having a complete metadata collection :). I think it's probably the easiest way to make sure your tags are ok. You get covers for free. You don't need to be an itunes user, but you may need to install itunes and import your collection. Tags and cover are not intunes-dependent.

Hope that helps...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version