ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (32/33) > >>

TGB72:
Well with all the respect I thing there is no program on earth that can beat Everything 1.2 in terms of speed for indexing and search through large amount of data. I talking about less than a minute to index 500GB with 360000 files and a fraction of a sec to search ANY file. Check the author's site for more info.

Otherwise I found Visual CD far better than locate for indexing CDs, DVD and other removable media.

kronhead:
Well with all the respect I thing there is no program on earth that can beat Everything 1.2 in terms of speed for indexing and search through large amount of data. I talking about less than a minute to index 500GB with 360000 files and a fraction of a sec to search ANY file. Check the author's site for more info.

Otherwise I found Visual CD far better than locate for indexing CDs, DVD and other removable media.
-TGB72 (May 05, 2009, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks interesting, but no indexing of network volumes - unless you can run a server function on the remote system. But I am using Jungledisk to store data on Amazon's S3 cloud servers, and I want to index those files as well. Locate works on them.

Actually, the reason I came to locate in the first place, was becuase I used Copernic, and they dropped support for network drives in their free version. "Everything" might work for my home computers, but not for cloud files. I do miss indexing file contents - and I cannot index email with *anything* since I started using IMAP and left the mail on the servers ... Oh, well.

Dan

J-Mac:

--- End quote ---

Looks interesting, but no indexing of network volumes - unless you can run a server function on the remote system. But I am using Jungledisk to store data on Amazon's S3 cloud servers, and I want to index those files as well. Locate works on them.

Actually, the reason I came to locate in the first place, was becuase I used Copernic, and they dropped support for network drives in their free version. "Everything" might work for my home computers, but not for cloud files. I do miss indexing file contents - and I cannot index email with *anything* since I started using IMAP and left the mail on the servers ... Oh, well.

Dan
-kronhead (May 05, 2009, 10:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dan,

Try IMAPSize for your IMAP mail accounts. It will backup all of your IMAP messages locally and it also has a really good search facility for those backed up messages.

Jim

kronhead:

Dan,

Try IMAPSize for your IMAP mail accounts. It will backup all of your IMAP messages locally and it also has a really good search facility for those backed up messages.

Jim
-J-Mac (May 05, 2009, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Dan

brotherS:
Well with all the respect I thing there is no program on earth that can beat Everything 1.2 in terms of speed for indexing and search through large amount of data.
--- End quote ---
That may be, but the UI looks a bit (too) simple to me. I don't want to spend the time to test it, but from looking at the screenshot and checking the FAQ, it doesn't seem to have presets (which I love about Locate). And is it usable with the keyboard only?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version