ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Locate 3.0 - great *FAST* HD search tool!

<< < (33/33)

Carol Haynes:
I have moved from Locate32 to Everything and find the latter much quicker to use everyday. It indexes incredibly quickly (without permanently storing large index files), it now detects removable drives on the fly (both insertion and removal) and it finds files as you type the name so you rarely have to type anything complete. I also love the simplicity of refining a search by adding deparate extra bits (an extension, a drive letter etc).

Give it a try (it is a tiny download) - it will be on your desktop and working within a minute (including downloading it)!

TurboJosh:
Wow, I just found this recommendation to try "Everything 1.2" and it is UNBELIEVABLE!!  I would have killed to learn about this software 10 years sooner!  It's one of the best pieces of software I have ever seen.  So good, why doesn't Windows come with this built in?  Windows built in Indexing Service is a laughable useless farce compared to Everything!

"Everything" builds a full index within 1 second!  It relies upon the NTFS USN Journal so it only works on NTFS drives.

I tried Google Desktop but couldn't get it to build an index right away and found it's "127.0.0.1" Http server program interface to be overly complicated and bloated.

Everything is just a dream come true.  EXTREMELY, BLISTERING fast, and outrageously small, lean and efficient.

Thank you VERY much to whoever recommended it.

f0dder:
Windows come with this built in?  Windows built in Indexing Service is a laughable useless farce compared to Everything!-TurboJosh (October 06, 2010, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
You can't really compare the two, since Everything only searches based on filenames. It's good for what it does, though. I personally don't like it has to run with admin privs, but without separating to a LUA GUI app and a admin service, that's just how it has to be.

Afaik it reads the MFT and not the USN Journal, btw - but the two are closely related.

rjbull:
I personally don't like it has to run with admin privs, but without separating to a LUA GUI app and a admin service, that's just how it has to be.-f0dder (October 07, 2010, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I bought a license for PC Magazine's RAAC = Run As Admin Controller, which makes running an admin app from a user account more comfortable.  But, that's only really a solution on your own PC.  Otherwise, perfectly competent file finders abound, but none are as fast as Everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version