ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MyLife Organized (updated review for v2)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Dormouse:
I have tried MLO on a fair number of occasions, and agree that v2 looks like a reasonable upgrade. It does seem pretty solid and the PDA sync seems to work well. I've been tempted to buy it every time I see it here at a substantial discount.

But then I ask myself whether I will actually use it. And I think of ToDoList. Entering all the parameters of a task on MLP is quite a long winded process. On TDL it is all on one screen. And the search and filter abilities are much better. No proper PDA prog or sync, though. So I always think "attractive but not efficient, don't buy". And I couldn't even start to be tempted at the normal price; might be different if I needed the PDA sync much more.

longrun:
It's true that you can use different machines with one license, but unless things have changed you need to get a new activation code each time you install, even if you've uninstalled from an old machine. This can be a bit of a pain, but I suppose it deters piracy.

I find several aspects of MLO awkward, including rearranging tasks (the implementation of drag and drop; keyboard shortcuts like Alt-Shift-Up/Down to move tasks instead of the more convenient Alt-Up/Down). I'm glad that others find the automated todo list useful, but I've found it unusable.

For simpler task lists I've reverted to tasktoy (http://www.tasktoy.com), which incorporates places/contexts, and taskthis (http://www.taskthis.darthapo.com).

tamasd:
Entering all the parameters of a task on MLP is quite a long winded process.
-Dormouse (June 27, 2008, 04:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's true. I almost never enter the extra info, so for me it's OK. I guess it will improve in the future when multi-column tree might be added.

On TDL it is all on one screen. And the search and filter abilities are much better.

--- End quote ---
Did you check the latest filtering, that was added with version 2? I can't think of what more could be added (except perhaps as above with the extra info, maybe it might take more steps than TDL, not sure).

So I always think "attractive but not efficient, don't buy".

--- End quote ---
Interesting, I always thought about MLO as "not much attractive,but very efficient".
I also tested TDL few times, it's very good, but I couldn't stand it GUI-wise.

Dormouse:
Did you check the latest filtering, that was added with version 2? I can't think of what more could be added (except perhaps as above with the extra info, maybe it might take more steps than TDL, not sure).-tamasd (July 01, 2008, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I did. Still nowhere near TLD. And the latest alphas push that even further.
So I always think "attractive but not efficient, don't buy".

I also tested TDL few times, it's very good, but I couldn't stand it GUI-wise.
--- End quote ---
I do understand that, and felt similarly. But it is so configurable. And, in use, being able to have everything on a single screen is just so much more efficient than alternative approaches. Though that only makes a difference if you are using a lot of the features for each task.

superboyac:
I updated the review with the latest beta information.  Specifically, I mention the parsing feature and the task dependency feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version