ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Computer mods: What odd things have you done?

<< < (5/5)

40hz:
I don't know if this is odd, but I equip almost all of my workstations with removable drive bays. I work with a lot of different operating systems and special configurations - and I don't like multibooting. So I do up different setups and plug them in as needed. I usually buy the hot-swap models. I don't use the hot-swap feature, but it's nice to have "just in case." Hot-swap hardware is usually of better quality (i.e. smoother install and removal) but you can save considerable money opting for non-hot swap models.

I also keep a few virgin "swappy" XP and Vista drives on hand for when I need to test something on a "known good" configuration. These get reghosted once I'm finished so I'm always set to go.

I've had very good luck with stuff from Granite Digital. Their build quality is excellent, although there are also many less expensive products out there that I'm sure would work equally well. My current favorite is this beastie:

http://www.granitedigital.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=354

For server use, I prefer to go with external bays when running multiple drives to keep the heat down inside the server case. Drive replacements are relatively cheap compared to CPU/Mobo repairs.

cranioscopical:
i think a cool mod would be a flat old style computer case (not tower but the kind that has proportions more like a pizza box), but with the entire top being one giant slow fan-mouser (July 16, 2008, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think you need a draftsman to design that properly.

JennyB:
i think a cool mod would be a flat old style computer case (not tower but the kind that has proportions more like a pizza box), but with the entire top being one giant slow fan (like maybe a 20inch by 20inch fan).  now that would be cool in more than one way.
-mouser (July 16, 2008, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thinks: inside a kitchen extractor hood (mounted on the wall, but over a desk, not a cooker!)?   8)

Shades:
My recently acquired computer case has been designed with 12cm fan in front, 24cm fan on the side and 12cm fan on the back....so I don't need to make any alterations to my case like the original poster from this thread suggested ;-)

The only difference with the picture and my case is that is completely black and spray painted like a car.

wreckedcarzz:
An idea:  we should find someone who can do a professional and mind-blowingly cool job making a CodyCase mod and then chip in and pay for it to be built with top notch components and then raffle it off in the DC fundraiser.

I think the design should be Cody on an island and you have to feed him quarters to power the PC.
-mouser (July 13, 2008, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can we just buy a case like that? I would seriously save up $150+ just for that!! :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version