ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nero - WHY?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Curt:
Anyone any suggestions for quality DVD+R DL full face printable discs in the UK and a supplier that has them at a reasonable price?-Carol Haynes (June 24, 2008, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

SVP http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Taiyo+Yuden&Submit.x=17&Submit.y=11&Submit=Search

A year ago the Danish site recordere.dk recommended Taiyo Yuden DVD+R with booktype DVD-ROM for 8x, for best quality, but I guess 16x is all okay today. 100 silver topped disks is £14.25

Edited:
Is 16:9 a must?

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for the link but I never have problems with single layer DVDs and I have plenty of sources for cheap ones - it is dual layer discs I have problems finding at a reasonable price and consistently burnable.

For example - yesterday I burned 4 dual layer DVDs with ImgBurn (I thought I would give it another go). The third disc burned but wouldn't verify so I burned it again in Nero where it burned and verified correctly. This has been my experience in recent months with ImgBurn - regular unverifiable discs which burn fine in Nero. I rarely get a duff Nero disc. Trouble is that a 30% failure rate in ImgBurn is probably about what I expect now (with DL discs - SL discs are fine). And that is unacceptable because the discs are so expensive in the first place.

J-Mac:
Hehehe...   ;D 8)

I won't reiterate all the same stuff. Nero Ultra 7 was my last version.  I didn't reinstall it after my last XP Pro reinstall.  I really don't want the crap.  Even if you disable all the processes it still clogs up your system and registry.  BTW, you DO have to actually delete a few files - or rename them - to fully disable all of Scout's activities.

And then take a look in your registry.  Every media file reference in the Class section of your registry will have at least two keys naming Nero as the associated application for that file type.  If you remove a program that does have the association assigned, it will default automatically to Nero again.  Can't fix that except by reinstalling the OS.

Just a truly over-intrusive program now.

Oh, also:  someone above mentioned that they are just being progressive be reacting to user needs. I'm sorry but the photo app they put into the suite is not a good one - not even adequate, IMO. But of course the file association is hard written into the registry so its hard to keep those Nero icons down.

They had good support people at one time - back around Nero3 or 4, I think it was.  Now you get no help at all.  I don't think I will ever use it again. Not unless they do a complete about face -- which I don't see happening.

Jim

katykaty:
Thanks for the link but I never have problems with single layer DVDs and I have plenty of sources for cheap ones - it is dual layer discs I have problems finding at a reasonable price and consistently burnable.

For example - yesterday I burned 4 dual layer DVDs with ImgBurn (I thought I would give it another go). The third disc burned but wouldn't verify so I burned it again in Nero where it burned and verified correctly. This has been my experience in recent months with ImgBurn - regular unverifiable discs which burn fine in Nero. I rarely get a duff Nero disc. Trouble is that a 30% failure rate in ImgBurn is probably about what I expect now (with DL discs - SL discs are fine). And that is unacceptable because the discs are so expensive in the first place.
-Carol Haynes (July 14, 2008, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure how good they are but Scan are selling various 10 pack of 'Aone' dual layers including printable for less than £4.

Carol Haynes:
I read the reviews on Amazon of Aone and won't be buying them.

I have just discovered RiDisc Silver printable DL DVDs which seem to work very well on my system and they are considerably cheaper that Verbatim etc. They also look stunning when printed (I really like the metallic finish to the discs). The batch I have appear to have Disc ID: CMC MAG-D02-00 so maybe my system likes CMC disks. The dye looks like typical Ritek purple but I am not sure if Ritek have anything to do with them. So far I have burned about 10 and had no duds. Unfortunately they only work at 2.4x but at least they work.

I didn't have the same luck with BulkPaq discs which report Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67 - despite the fact that Pioneer say that RICOH D01 discs are compatible at 8x speed! Even at 2.4x I still get at least 50% duds. At least these seem to work fine in my laptop with a different drive make.

I have also tried Arita discs (reporting Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01 - again supposedly compatible according to Pioneer) with very poor results and also Prime discs (haven't got any left and won't be buying them again).

So RiDisc (2.4x, cheap) and Verbatim (8x, expensive) seem to be the way to go on my system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version