ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Farr is not very responsive when it is searching

(1/3) > >>

kartal:
When farr is searching directories Farr becomes very unresponsive and most of the times "Esc" cannot even stop the search. And I would find myself waiting Farr to finish the search next 1 min which is waste of time pretty much. This is very visible during a "deep search" when Farr cannot place the keyword within the history and that is the time it starts directory searching. I am hoping that there would be some improvement at some point regarding this issue.

mouser:
Yes i will try to fix this in the near future with a better use of threads.

kartal:
I am glad that you are aware of the problem as well.

mouser:
There are really two issues here:
1) the minor issue, which is that FARR's user interface should be more responsive even while searching deep directories.  The problem is caused by unsophisticated use of multithreading that gets hung up waiting for the operating system to load directory information when it is out of the OS cache.
2) the larger issue, which is that when searching giant directories, for example if you have FARR to search your entire hd instead of just your start menu (the default is just start menu), then the fact that FARR does not index becomes a hindrance to use because it can take so long to live search those directories.  An index would make such searches significantly faster, but brings with it it's own problems.

I'd like to ask that we don't get into a detailed discussion of indexing and such stuff now, just because i'm not quite ready to think about it in detail -- i want to fix all my other pending issues in the next week or so and then we can talk about this again.

kartal:
thanks for explanation mouser. What I can ask  is maybe more responsive "esc" as the first step maybe? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version