ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

U.K. growing more peculiar by the day. What's happening in your area?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Lashiec:
Wow, many possible candidates for the Stella Awards :D

fenixproductions:
2Lashiec
Thanks for "Stella Awards". Funny to reading it is.
I think that Darwin ones are better to the sake of humanity.

oldfart:
Five years ago a retired farmer drove his Chevy pickup out to the farm to get some straw for his garden.  He left the truck running as he loaded five bales of straw.  He got back into the cab, had a heart attack and died.  The truck sat there idling for several hours before the catalytic converter caught the grass on fire.  The truck burned up as did the deceased.  His family sued GM for fifty million dollars because their truck cremated their deceased father--and won [I don't know if an appeal managed to reduce the amount.] even though the owner's manual specifically warned against leaving the vehicle running unattended and parking on dead grass.
GM then raises the truck price enough to more than cover the lawsuit amount and anyone buying a pickup helps pay this family for their ridiculous lawsuit.  Juries will give huge amounts to almost anyone who sues a big company, especially one they dislike. 
Are you aware that about 80% of the cost of a ladder is for liability insurance for the manufacturer?  Everyone who does something stupid on a ladder sues and usually wins.  I'm not in favor of caps on torts and I'm neither a lawyer nor a manufacturer but I sure wish there was a way to inject some common sense into juries.

cranioscopical:

I'm with you, oldfart! 
When I were a lad the idea of bringing an action against someone else for a piece of self-inflicted harm would have been risible. 

I blame Johnny CashJOHNNY CASH LYRICS

"A Boy Named Sue"

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue."

Curt:
You could of course all just leave those foolish countries... but then again, I am afraid foolishness in general is spreading! Not only "more people = more fools", but also "bigger cities and more TV channels = more foolishness per fool".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version