ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Fifth Element: back to basic?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Curt:
I must say that my impression is less impressed... but I cannot be certain if all the malfunctioning situations were caused by my unstable PC or by outdated programs. Anyway, I am sure I will not have any of the programs placed in Start, but I will take some more days to see if maybe some part of this package will suit me.

By the way, it is 'an odd bunch'!  ;)

cmpm:
I think it is just a simple package for a variety of needs running on low powered computers. And sufficient for simple needs.

The different packages do different things on startup, so experimenting with the different ones could help get a bigger picture of this little program.

Personally I use ms office 03 pro and Abiword for my needs.
Though I have a lot more office suites.

f0dder:
I use OpenOffice at the moment, but I'm constantly considering going back to MS Office 2000... it's so lightweight in comparison, and just seems to work. OOo hangs on the simplest of things :/

Curt:
The toolbar I was babbling about, Startup Desktop, somehow doesn't like the environment on my PC. It will start okay, but suddenly it will stop working, and restarting it doesn't help. The major problem is that it is vital for the package, it is The Central Station.

I will not yet stop testing this package, but I will first have to "cheat" and create a new XP toolbar with all the same shortcuts. Maybe tomorrow.

Curt:
Creating the shortcuts, I noticed that 2 programs are stamped year 2006, 19 are stamped year 2007, and the remaining 17 programs are stamped year 2008. I decided to open each and every of them at once and have a closer look, and because of what I leaned I finally understood what all this is about. This is NOT about you and me, but about giving aid to the poor (maybe more precisely, any poor who can read English or Afrikaans). This is a package for the poor with access only to whatever computers we might have dumped in the prior millennium, and it is (also) a collection of programs for all the millions of people who cannot order software because they cannot get a credit card. And with this point of view in mind, I will not be testing this further, because the package was never meant for me in the first place, so why should (you or) the author care about what I would think of his programs?

--

But this is how it is looking: