ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: FARR Multi Monitor (and center and resize) 1.1.0

(1/7) > >>

phitsc:
Description
The FARR MultiMonitor plugin extends FARR to work better with multiple monitors. FARR's main window currently always shows up on the monitor you moved it to. With the FARR MultiMonitor plugin enabled, FARR's main window will show up on the monitor that contains the currently active window (usually the window of the application you're working in, and also where you're currently looking at) or on the monitor where the mouse currently is.

Additionally, the FARR MultiMonitor plugin can center FARR's main window on the screen.

Download & Install
Download the FarrMultiMonitor installer linked at the bottom of this post, then double-click FarrMultiMonitorSetup.exe to start the installation. I've tested the installer on both Windows XP and Windows 7 32-bit. If you'd rather install the plugin manually, you can also download it from the bottom of this post, then unzip it into the FARR plugins directory (usually C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins) and restart FARR.

Options
Note that the plugin offers a couple of options which can be set in the FARR advanced plugin options dialog. There's a brief description of these options in the readme file. Also note that the center option is off by default.

Hotkeys
Win + Left : move FARR window to monitor on the left
Win + Right : move FARR window to monitor on the right
Win + Home : center FARR window
Win + Ctrl + 1 .. 0 : resize FARR window to 10% .. 100% of current screen's width

Version history
1.1.0 - 10. May 2009
- added option to resize FARR to a certain percentage of the screen's height when it's activated (make sure to disable FARR auto-shrink option)
- added hotkeys Win + Ctrl + Shift + 1 .. 0 to resize FARR to a certain percentage of the screen's height

1.0.0 - 28. April 2009
- added option to resize FARR to a certain percentage of the screen's width when it's activated
- added hotkeys Win + Ctrl + 1 .. 0 to resize FARR to a certain percentage of the screen's width

0.3.0 - 13. October 2008
- fixes 'displaying FARR on monitor with active window doesn't work anymore'

- added support for moving to next/last monitor and centering with hotkeys

- added option to display FARR on monitor where mouse is, instead of on monitor with active window
- added option to center FARR window only when it appears
- fixed DLL unload problem
- added .dcupdate file

- initial release

mouser:
holy cow what a cool thing to do. going to try it now.
to tell the truth i wouldn't have even thought this was possible so it will be fun to see if it can work.

mouser:
it works  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

damn that is cool.

mouser:
something to think of for future:
option to shown on desktop where mouse is (and maybe default to this if no active window?)

and perhaps a sub-option for centering:
[] only center when initially appearing (current method keeps re-centering as the window changes sizes)

phitsc:
it works  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

damn that is cool.
-mouser (June 20, 2008, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks mouser  :)

something to think of for future:
option to shown on desktop where mouse is (and maybe default to this if no active window?)

and perhaps a sub-option for centering:
[] only center when initially appearing (current method keeps re-centering as the window changes sizes)
-mouser (June 20, 2008, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with centering when initial appearing is that when FARR pops up, the result list is empty at first, before the launch history is added. This means that the final window (with launch history added) would be below the center, because centering would take place with an empty results list. I solved this problem for me by introducing the Threshold feature.

The Threshold feature works as follows:
I have my FARR set to show me a max. of 7 entries in the normal results list. On my installation, this makes the results list appr. 290 pixels high (to find out, make a screen shot with Alt + PrintScreen and paste into Paint for example). Setting the threshold now to something like 275 pixels causes the centering to only take place, if the FARR window expands or shrinks by more than 275 pixels. This is the case when switching from large to small icon results list or vice versa (which is the reason I actually implemented the centering, i.e. to not have FARR stuck to the top of the screen every time it switched to small icon view), as well as on initial appearing.

I could still add the option to center on initial appearing only (resulting in the described effect) or maybe an option to have it 'center' in the upper 1/3 of the screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version