ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Someone MUST make a new PowerMarks program.

<< < (26/42) > >>

J-Mac:
Yes, this has been mentioned, and yes it is there in Linkman. At least I see it in the Pro version. Tools>Settings>Browser: List all your browsers here; first is "User-Defined".  Then, Tools>Settings>Launch URLs: Top left box entitled, "Launch URLs with:"
-J-Mac (March 31, 2009, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi, Jim.  I think I probably didn't make myself sufficiently clear.  I know that Linkman will work with a variety of browsers, and I know that I can go into Settings and tell it which browser to use.  But what I'd like is for it to simply use whichever supported browser I happen to have open.  Thus, if I've set it so that it should open bookmarks with Firefox but I happen to have Opera open instead, I'd like to be able to have it work with Opera without my having to go back into Settings and change things.   

-cyberdiva (March 31, 2009, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

How would it do that? I don't know of any bookmark program that knows what browser you have open. Did Powermarks do that?

Jim

cyberdiva:
How would it do that? I don't know of any bookmark program that knows what browser you have open. Did Powermarks do that?
-J-Mac (March 31, 2009, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.  I no longer have Powermarks on my computer, so I can't check.  But I thought it simply worked seamlessly regardless of which browser was open.

Oh well, at least Linkman will make a bookmark from any browser without my having to do anything special...I suppose it's possible that that's all that Powermarks did as well.

SKA:
There are 2 issues here:

1] adding a URL/link into PM from an open browser window:
yes PM would add URL/link  from topmost/open/active browser window -like magic

2] opening a stored link from within PM in browser of yr choice - had to be chosen manually via right click or it'd open in default browser set in PM.

PM+IE worked (badly) via COM, PM+opera worked another way.
PM got confused if multiple IE windows were open - it'd add "topmost" (active) window's URL mostly, sometimes no. (COM object woes/leaks)

SKA

J-Mac:
OK. I thought that sounded too good to be true. I would love a bookmark program to know which browser I have open and launch URLs there. Probably could be done but wouldn't be easy, I imagine.

Thanks!

Jim

cyberdiva:
2] opening a stored link from within PM in browser of yr choice - had to be chosen manually via right click or it'd open in default browser set in PM.
-SKA (April 01, 2009, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, SKA, for the clarification.  Actually, I'd be delighted if I could simply right-click to tell Linkman which browser to use to open a stored link.  That seems to me considerably less cumbersome than having to go into Settings-->Launch URLs each time I want to use a browser other than the one I've specified as "open with."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version