ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

NewEgg

<< < (7/7)

JavaJones:
Hehe, finding the best product and the best deal are often different things, and I use different tools for both purposes (though there is some overlap).

For general product search I think Newegg has the best options by far. Their Power Search is a technoweenie's wet dream (aside a few quirks of the presumably automated filter creation system and wording issues). So I often start there just to find what product I might even want to find the best prices on. I also like Newegg's reviews better than most other sites because the audience is usually fairly tech-savvy.

Once I find  the product(s) I'm interested in, I then check prices on Amazon and TigerDirect, as well as Google Shopping as necessary. Amazon is generally my preferred vendor just because I have Prime and free 2 day shipping is hard to beat. They also don't charge me tax. TigerDirect is great too, often free shipping (but not 2 day), and they don't charge tax either. Newegg does charge me tax being a CA resident, so that's why I tend not to buy from them much, but if I lived outside CA I'd probably buy from them a lot more as they do generally have good prices and, as I said, a great search engine.

- Oshyan

wraith808:
I generally use BensBargains and FatWallet to score deals and go from there.  However, if I'm going after a particular item, I check buy.com, tigerdirect.com, amazon.com, and newegg.com.  I also check pricewatch.com as they have an excellent search engine- even better than newegg, and list all of the vendors, though sometimes it comes up short.

J-Mac:
Your circumstances sound similar to mine: I agree with you on Newegg's search and reviews - both are excellent resources. I also use Amazon Prime (though more and more I notice that the Prime "free shipping" price is equal to the best overall price from non-Prime vendors on Amazon plus their shipping).

Tiger Direct - I'll have to check them out. This is what I am looking for; some alternatives to Amazon and Newegg for when I can't find an items at either place. I haven't gained full trust in Google Shopping yet; I have seen a few vendors listed there that I know are trouble sometimes. I have heard the name "Fry's" mentioned a lot also.

Thanks!

Jim

wraith808:
An update on my newegg situation:

After the chat with the customer service person, the money was almost immediately refunded, which was good.  But what bothers me is that it took 2 phone calls and a chat, and getting almost irate (I kept myself in line... but it was frustrating) to get this done.  Why do you have to become that customer that you don't want to become to get anything done?

3of0:
I use NewEgg a little here and there.  I love how i can research what I want, and the reviews are invaluable.  I did have an incident a few years back, but it was so minor I don't even remember what it was.

I work in a place that uses Dell.  Starting 3-4 months ago, it's been pulling teeth to get anything done.  We would place an order, and a month later we would finally get a third of what we ordered.  We ended up canceling the rest and ordering it from someplace else which ended up being cheaper and faster.  Also, we put in a quote for a few items, after 2 weeks asked where they were and they said that they're no longer available and that we would need to order something else.

We are currently a dell shop, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to work with them to get things done and resolved.  As far as NewEgg, my experiences have been great and I'm seeing they have some quarks, but to me it seems bearable, especially if they work with you to get things resolved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version